Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Tale

Bulldog Mom
Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, our Christmas started raining cats and dogs. After an hour of struggling to get the Egg lit and to temp, I gave up - put the 18 lb Mad Max bird in the oven until the weather passed.

After about an hour, the skies cleared, but it was very windy. We restarted the egg, stabilized the temp at 325-330 and all was well with the world. I put the bird on for the remaining 4.5 hours it was supposed to cook.

With 2 hours to go, I went to check the internal temps. Lo and behold, the turkey was done. My dad thinks its because we cooked the bird in the oven for an hour, but I am thinking it had something to do with the heat source (i.e. the relight was toward the top of the lump, rather than even throughout. Or could the windy conditions have had something to do with the heat?

Regardless, the turkey turned out fantastic (many thanks to Max once again) and, well the turkey was gone beforeI could take any pics.

But if anyone has any insight on why it finished so fast, I'd appreciate the info.