Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and slow DIRECT….how hard?

Options
Wino
Wino Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am all set to do Chef Wil’s Cajun stuffed brisket on Saturday. The prep was a bit time consuming, but I am sure it will be well worth it in the end. So my question is, how hard is it to keep a 225° temp direct. I have kept that low a temp many times indirect. The plate setter makes that easy. Chef Wil said he did it direct with the bbq guru. Since the guru is…..well the guru and can hold temps no problem am I going to have trouble holding the temp so low with out the help of ceramic mass, or a guru. I saw WooDoggies did one indirect, but it took 3 hours longer than Chef Wil.
Thanks
Wino

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Wino,
    the key I have found when not using the guru is to open your bag of lump and choose some real big pieces and place those at the bottom to keep an air flow, then build your lump with mediums, then go for smaller ones on top. Babysit it for about an hour to make sure your temp is stabilized then go on about your business.

• I don't remember if I stated I had cooked it with a raised grid using 2 fire bricks about 4 inches high.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Sounds a lot like Elder Wards suggested method of building a fire. In fact I use the Elder Ward method every time I do a Low 'n' Slo - never had a problem when I do it that way. Also suggest lighting the lump on the top in the center. Fire has to "work" to burn down so it takes longer. Takes a little longer but, for me it's worth it.

• Wino
    Options
    one more suggestion,
    You did mention the raised grid. I have had great success using Elder Wards fire building rules. I think I will use your method of direct for this cook. No sense deviating from the master.
    Cannot wait to show this one off to my friends.
    Have a fantastic Australian Shiraz to pair for this cook.
    Wino

• Wino
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    One question about the cook. Where did you take the internal temp. In the stuffing or slide the prob into the thickest part of the meat?
    Thanks
    Wino

• Chef Wil
    Options
    Sundown,
    your right, it was elder wards method I had used, and it works

• Chef Wil
    Options
    Wino,
    temp won't help on this one, brisket has to be tender, the inside will be more than done, no worries.