Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

costco 3 pack ribs

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is the second pack of ribs I've gotten from Costco that appear to already have the membrane removed. Anyone else experience this, or am I just missing the membrane and leaving it on there :huh:

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It happens from time to time there.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I have sometimes gotten em with the membrane removed..it's not often though...enjoy it, even though it's not difficult at all to remove...
  • NotabuttDave
    Options
    Dunno,

I got one cryo pack from Krogers once. It must have been very fresh. For the life of me, I couldn't get the membrane off.

Could you have a very fresh pack?
  • Buckethead
    Options
    Costco now specs membrane removed. System wide.
    Doug
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    The last pack I purchased appeared to have the membrane removed too. I still worked on the slabs for a while before I just gave up trying to remove any more. Good to know that removal is now Costco's systemwide policy. I knew there was a reason I like those guys.
  • Bgolf4me
    Options
    I buy Costco ribs all the time and haven't had to remove the membrane on the last 5 or 6 packs.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    The last 2 packs I've done have had NO membrane.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    My last three or four packs have already had the membrane removed.

Drives me nuts trying to find an edge, then remembering that it just might not be there at all..............
    South SLO County
  • Little Steven
    Options
    glousteau,

I have had Costco babybacks with the membrane removed but not spares. Were they spares?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I always get spares at Costco, so the ones I bought with little or no membrane were spares.
  • faithie999
    Options
    once in a while, my local costco has store-packaged ribs, 2 slabs to a pack (on white styrofoam trays, with the normal supermarket stretchy plastic overwrap) in addn to the 3-slab cryovacs. i swear they taste better, but it may just be my imagination. does anyone know if they are just the 3-packs opened and repackaged in the store, or if they are from another source, perhaps local, which of course would vary by city?
    thanks!
  • No Flo Rome
    Options
    Down here in Tallahassee, the Costco baby backs have no membrane and are cut nicely and very meaty! In fact, the rib roast they sell was a fine cut as well. Never tried bone in rib roast, only boneless so far. Costco is beating our Sams club for meats right now. -r
  • Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    Options
    faithie999 wrote:
    once in a while, my local costco has store-packaged ribs, 2 slabs to a pack (on white styrofoam trays, with the normal supermarket stretchy plastic overwrap) in addn to the 3-slab cryovacs. i swear they taste better, but it may just be my imagination. does anyone know if they are just the 3-packs opened and repackaged in the store, or if they are from another source, perhaps local, which of course would vary by city?
    thanks!

My guess is that the cryovacs are packaged elsewhere; there might be a name on it. I also agree that the styrofoam packaged ribs taste fresher.

The ribs I've bought in the last few months all had the membrane, but it's no problem to get off with a butter knife and paper towel.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    The other great thing about Cosco is that the return policy applies to meat. I once bought some cryovac ribs that smelled off when I opened them. They were still within the sell by date, so I took the package back to the store. They refunded the money without question.
  • Buckethead
    Options
    Exact same ribs that are cryovc. They just offer 2 vs 3 slabs. EXACT same rib. And as I stated in an earlier post new spec for Costco is membrane removed.
    Doug
  • Buckethead
    Options
    All cryovac meat has a smell when opening. Just part of the process. Wait for about 5-10 minutes and I think you will find the smell is gone.
    DMo
  • Bgolf4me
    Options
    The in house ribs you are seeing are produced at the store. They bone out the loins to cut boneless pork chops. After removing the chime you have back ribs. They then package them 2 to a pack and sell them for the same price.
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Thanks Glousteau for asking the question and thanks Buckethead for the "insider" tips.

I am a noob about to prep the Costco 3 pack for the first time and probably would've struggled for a good hour trying to figure out why I was having trouble removing the "invisible" membrane.

I really love the forum. You guys ROCK!

Thanks
    Bryan