Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions on BBQ Pitmasters

Options
Jeffersonian
Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now that a couple of episodes have run, I'm wondering about a few things I've seen. Specifically:

1) At the Illinois competition, Myron Mixon won $1,500 for taking the MBN Grand Championship. He was skunked in the KCBS. Yet he had to have cooked several hundred pounds of meat, including a whole hog, eight pork shoulders, something like 18 slabs of babybacks and unspecified amounts of pulled pork, chicken and, presumably, wagyu brisket. Having pulled that enormous rig from south Georgia to Illinois and bought all that meat, I don't see how this could have ever been so much as a break-even proposition for him. If he's, as he says, "all about the money," what's he doing even entering a contest such as this?

2) Why would Mixon cook nearly 180 pounds of pork shoulder to have a few meager ounces of it judged? I can see doing a spare just in case, but seven spares?

3) Since there are obviously tons of extra meat are left after judging, where do those leftovers go? Is there a big banquet, with the rest donated to, say, a homeless shelter?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I'm thinkin sponsors foot the bill.Then he makes the $$$ endorsing their products.JM2C.Think TIGER! ;)
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    It cost a lot of money to fuel an ego that large. There is no reason to cook all of that product but he does. I do believe he owns and operates restaurants, and has a line of rubs and sauces under Jack's South.

Some of the competitions allow the teams to sell their extra food and some don't depending on local laws.Like any sport, it can be as simple or outlandish as you can afford. At least that is my experience so far.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Was the $1,500 the total? Sometimes you can win quite a bit for a category. When I won my Grand Championship it was $1,500 but I won another $500 in category prizes.

The food does not go to anyone after the contest. Some judges take it home. Some teams have that meat sold after a contest. I knew a restaurant cook who was KCBS team of the year and he took all his food back to the restaurant.

Competing is not cheap.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I'm thinking he is out of the restaurant at this point. ;)
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    That Jack South guy may be a good Q'er, but he is such a jack a$$. He makes GA look terrible, and I hope he is overdoing it for the camera. Couldn't imagine he has a friend in the world if he is actually that crass and stuck on himself.

I do enjoy the show, but could do without that guy.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Having met him several times, I suspect they are trying to portray certain personas. Without a doubt, Myron is a character but it is a made for TV filming.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    He might be personally, but his website says he does franchises of JOS.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I know he was a vendor at the Jack this year. I also remember he mentioning something about catering or cooking for events. That may be where the extra meat goes.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    He is not that way in person and I think those who have met him at the BGE store and competed against him would say he is a fine person.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    The $1500 was the grand prize for winning the MBN competition. I don't recall if there were category prizes or what they might have been. I'll go re-watch and see.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Well, he finished first in each and there was like $7,000 in prize money for the MBN, so he probably got $500-1000 per category. So maybe $3000-4500 in prize money. Not a bad days work.

He came up here to Iowa for the BBQlossal and didnt get anything. That is a long way to go to come back empty handed.
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    Glad to hear that Myron isn't a bad guy....in fact, he must be a pretty good actor cause he had me convinced that we never needed to meet.

I would imagine that the $$ (again in fact) doesn't mean a thing to the Jack South team. The winning sure does, but I bet he really just likes knowing that people think he is an incredible cook. We all get a lot out of that.

Hopefully, I didn't come across too harsh on the guy and tick off a friend or two.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    1. The contests where Myron wins 10,000 or 15,000 makes up for the contests where he loses. He also was paid to attend that contest by the production crew.

2. There are very specific parts of the shoulder that he uses. He needs 1 or 2 to do the blind box, 3 or 4 for the on site judges, another 1 to 3 for the finals judges.

3. Most of the meat is thrown away after a contest. There are a lot of regulations about food handling, even homeless folks don't want to get sick from free food.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Yikes...this sure put my competition aspirations on ice.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    That meat was for 2 contests so keep that in mind.

If the cost of meat is your concern then you should seriously re-consider competing. It's not uncommon for the cost of a contest to hit the $1,000 mark. They are a lot of work, extremely expensive, but are a lot of fun too.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You mean think Tiger...2 weeks ago. :whistle:
  • Hoss
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: YOU GOT THAT RITE!!! :blink: :ohmy:
  • Ripnem
    Options
    I seriously wonder if he will play again. :blush: :huh: :S :pinch:
  • Hoss
    Options
    I don't care one way or the other. :ohmy: :P B)
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    I dunno if it was just me....but I was soooo turned off by that BBQ Pitmasters show. I've watched the first two episodes....and it was about as exciting as watching water boil. It is no meat and all potatoes
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I can testify to what Bobby said...

They can be quite stressful, but they are fun..
  • Hoss
    Options
    Me MUST concur! B)
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    all i know is we beat him by 2 places in chicken last year in a contest. my claim to fame...
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I can see both the fun and stressful sides of it, though I'd try to think of some way to preserve the rest of the meat for donation, sales or consumption. It seems like such a waste to toss hundreds of pounds of delicious BBQ.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Heh, yeah. I heard a good joke:

Q: What's the difference between Tiger and Santa?

A: Santa stops at three ho's.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Hahahaa

It's like the old saying "Take'r easy"..."Hey, if she's easy.. take'r twice!"
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I can see that. They're trying to turn it into an in-your-face reality show, with trash-talking, grudges and such. I concur that I don't like that part of it one bit. I do like to see the different approaches each team takes to getting their product before the judges.

Myron Mixon definitely knows his 'cue, but I'm starting to think his strongest asset is his project management abilities...the guy is always on-task and never rushed. He has everything planned down to the minute and is never blind-sided. You can't say that about most of the other teams.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I usually divide what is left amongst my team. Most of us don't cook near as much as shown on the show. 18-24 thighs, 3-4 racks of ribs, two butts and two briskets

Whole hog is different and not all of us enter that category, because it's not a KCBS category. For that matter it's not really required in MBN either.

If you noticed Myron entered all three MBN categories; whereas, the others only entered one or two.

KCBS requires you to enter all four categories to win GC or RC

MBN requires you win the second round of one of the three categories.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Thanks, Pete, that seems a lot more doable than what Mixon was cooking and a lot easier to send home leftovers with team members, etc.