Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked nuts

Options
Dukester
Dukester Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With all the recent posts about smoked cheese I've decided I'm going to give that a try. I thought I would also like to smoke some nuts to go with the cheese as Christmas gifts but I need some advice on how to smoke nuts -- time, temp, methods, types of nuts, etc. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Gettin ready to put some on in a few minutes.Pecans,butter,salt 350 indirect,Jack Daniels chips,30+ minutes.I'm gonna do several batches,about 10 lbs in all.I'm thinkin of spicing some of them up with DP Pineapple Head. :)
  • Dukester
    Options
    Pineapple Head sound great on pecans, thinking maybe some Swamp Venom on almonds too
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It's all good!!! ;)
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    I make them at Eggtoberfest each year!
    nuts001.jpg

Chili Roasted Nut Mix

Cashews, raw
    Peanuts, raw
    Pecans, raw
    Pumpkin Seeds, shelled & raw
    Craisins
    Golden raisins
    Coconut chunks, unsweetened
    Roasted Chili Oil
    Brown Sugar
    Dizzy Pig, "Red-Eyed Rub"
    Sea salt

1. Mix all nuts in large ziploc bag

2. Add enough Chili Oil to coat nut mix

3. Add enough Brown Sugar to coat nut mix

4. Roast in shallow pan (pizza pan or slotted pan lined with foil) at 400-450 for 10 min then mix and roast for another 5-10... keep an eye on since the sugar will make things burn faster... Nuts are done when the "pale" nuts begin to turn golden.

5. Take off egg and mix with salt, cinnamon and your favorite Dizzy Pig rub to taste. I used Red-Eye which is my fav!

6. Allow nuts to cool before serving so the nut will get to their "toasted" consistency.

7. I usually buy cashews, almonds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, unsweetened dried coconut. If I really want to "impress" (i.e., spend $$), I throw in a few macadamia and pistachios. I usually add craisins, golden raisins and dried apricot (diced) for color. I've thought about adding other dried fruits, but most are candied and I really don't care for "too sweet" - though the chili oil will temper some of that... One thing that I would caution against is sunflower seeds... too small and fall through the pan...learned that the hard way...

nut2001.jpg
  • Lambchops
    Options
    Tell us how that works out for ya!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Dukester, if you like pecans, and who doesn't! You gotta try these..
    1 lb large pecan halves
    1 egg white
    1 tsp cold water
    1 cup turbinado sugar
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp salt

1 Beat water and egg white until frothy. Mix well with pecans. Combine sugar, cinnamon and salt. Mix well with pecans. Spread on a large cookie sheet. OVEN: Bake for 225 degrees for about 1 hour or to your liking. Stir occasionally.
    2 BGE: Use an indirect setup with a dome temp of 300° until done to your liking. Stir occasionally. Smoke is optional due to the sweetness of the nuts.
    3 With either method, keep a close eye on the color, stickiness and bottom burning of the nuts after 30 minutes. Sample every few minutes until done to your liking as the sugar is not as forgiving as just straight spices.
    Note: I substitute a shot of bourbon for the water :woohoo:
    316596a5.jpg
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    My wife came home from the office the other day, raving about the following spicy pecans. I think I'll do them on the Egg with some wood chips thrown in - what else but pecan wood? :)

1/2 c sugar
    1 1/2 tsp each salt and chili powder
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    a pinch of cayenne
    1 egg white
    2 c pecan halves

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
    Spray a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.

Mix sugar and spices together in a small bowl. Beat the egg white lightly with a fork in a larger bowl; toss the pecans and stir to coat. Sprinkle the spice mix on the pecans to coat. Transfer to baking sheet, separating them as best as you can.

Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Village Idiot
    Options
    hahaha. I was keying in my recipe (see below) when you were posting yours. They look pretty similar. Mine has the addition of chili powder and cayenne .... probably the Texas influence.

I bet both are good. !!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Dukester
    Options
    Wow, the combinations seem endless, I'm going to try all these - eventually! Thanks for all your help :)