Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy lump

Options
BBQ BOY
BBQ BOY Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will never buy this lump again. Have been finding strange wood. looks like tongue and groove flooring and today I found lumps of rocks in it. What gives? What other brand can y'all recommend? BGE lump is available down the road.

Comments

• FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    I'm with you on this one..Some people love it tho..or maybe love the 10 dollars for 20 pounds. I have a couple of bags and use it for pizza at 700 degrees. It burns hot but doesn't last long. I'm new to the egg too so I'm experimenting with different lump. Right now I'm going though lump addiction. Can't pass a bag up without putting it in the car..
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    OK, I'll give you my two cents worth.

Scrap wood is scrap wood. Doesn't matter if it was a branch from an oak tree or unfinished oak flooring before it went into the kiln.

And if you find a brand that is debris free then you'll be on a gold mine. I (and just about everyone else who has been through a few bags) have found rocks, pieces of fiberglass insulation, unidentifiable plastic blobs, chunks of concrete, etc. It happens. Making charcoal is not a clean or precise operation, and the folks emptying the kilns and filling the bags are probably not trained to care much about quality control.

I personally don't use Cowboy, but it's cheap, it burns, and it's readily available.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I'm just the opposite. I've been perfectly happy with the Cowboy lump, but my first burn with Wicked Good was a disaster. I lit it and went into the house while it developed. When I came out, the thermometer was pegged and my gasket ruined. It was an inferno. The lumps are like tree trunks.

I'll give it another try because I have 3 bags, but I might have to baby sit it the whole time.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• in the summer, cowboy is my 'stumbling around on gin' lump. meaning, i can basically dump it into the egg, toss a match, walk away, and come back to find the egg at 800 (if i want), or merrily chugging overnight at 250.

when i am taking care to do things right, i'll reach for the RO and WGC, which are about twice as much here as cowboy.

in the end, for 9 out of 10 cooks, it is "sheiss egal" as the germans say ('doesn't mean sh!t' or 'sh!t equal').

i agree with you. in the end, the wood has no idea what shape it's in. in fact, sometimes the shape and lightness of cowboy means it's the go-to lump for getting to temps in say 15 or 20 minutes.

at a football game, when we are setting up and pulling the stuff from the truck, the egg is lit with fresh cowboy first thing. when all the other stuff is unpacked 15 minutes later and we are into the third beer, the egg is ready to go