Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black Bottom Pizza

Options
GoonSlapper
GoonSlapper Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've just made my second pizza on my large BGE and both times the bottom burned :angry: How can I prevent this from happening?

I don't have a plate setter, but I do have a the ceramic pizza stone. My set up the first time was to place the pizza stone directly on the grill, and today, I used the 3 ceramic feet to prop the pizza stone higher on the grill, to get some better air flow. I woo3 today, so I'm hoping that helps.

Do I need to add anything to the pizza stone, like olive oil, or flour, to prevent the burnt bottom?

BTW, this is my first post, and I've had my large BGE since about March of this year. I love it, but I haven't experimented too much with it. I'm starting to get in it, and this past weekend, cooked a pizza and a pork butt. the pork butt turned out well, even though I had a few temeperature issues, and I wasn't cooking w/ indirect heat :blush: Fortunately at HEB, here in Houston, they were selling Boston Pork Butts for $1/lb, so I bought 3 of them, ranging from 8 - 10 lbs. I'm hoping to get some good practice later this month. Its also tough because I live by myself, so its tough to justify cooking big portions on it everyday.

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    You need a platesetter,then the feet then the pizza stone.If you also put parchment paper under your crust you will have perfect pies.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    A platesetter will make your life egging much more pleasant.At least a few firebricks so you can go indirect.Much more forgiving. :)
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Get about four Fire brick splits and put hem on your grid. Use some kind of spacer then your pizza stone. If you use parchment paper pull it out after a few minutes and you should end up with a nicely browned bottom, the bottom of your pizza will look good too :laugh:
  • GoonSlapper
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I'll look into a platesetter, or see if my new purchase will work.

I had to look up what a split fire brick was, but now I know. I'll try to find them locally, and use them.

Thanks again, and I'll try this again.

I'll also start posting pics of whats in my BGE.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    You can find fire bricks at Ace Harware or order thme online from Ace and they will ship free to your nearest store...but in the long run a platesetter will come in handy for pizza and a lot of other cooks as well....
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    You need something to deflect the heat, so your pizza stone doesn't get direct heat from the fire. Using the feet between the pizza stone and the grill grate isn't going to cut it. You might be able to get away with just another pizza pan, though. So from the bottom up, you'd have grid, pizza pan, feet (or some other spacer), pizza stone, and the pizza on top of that.

Or two pizza stones should work: grid, pizza stone, feet, pizza stone, pizza.

But the fire bricks or the plate setter would be ideal, I think. You still need a spacer (like the feet) between the deflector (plate setter or fire bricks) and the pizza stone.
  • GoonSlapper
    Options
    Thanks again.

I ordered the Large Woo3 yesterday, with an extra pizza stone, so I'll use both pizza stones next time, one to deflect the heat, and one for the pizza.

I was actually surprised, I ordered from ceramic grill store yesterday, and its already at my house.

I'll definitely get the fire stones as well.