Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard bacon recipe?

Options
Clam
Clam Posts: 117
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thirdeye's BBB looks so good below, I would like to try by own, but am having trouble finding guidance. I have only find a recipe that uses shoulder. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Could you clarify your question a little? Hi-Mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure is what most of us use and the only difference in the recipe is the time spent curing. Loins don't take as long as butts to cure.

Mark
  • Clam
    Options
    I want to try loins. I'll look for the cure.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Pork loins produce a product similar to Canadian bacon...

pork butts produce a litlle more fatty product similar to bacon...they are both eggcellent...
  • Clam
    Options
    Maybe I should try one of each! I just ordered the BB cure.

Any smoke wood suggestions? I have apple, pecan, hickory and musquite on hand.
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    I did my first batch of buckboard bacon last week using Thirdeye's instructions. I did one boneless pork butt and one loin cut into half. I cured them all for 10 days, rinsed and soaked for two hours, then rested overnight. I injected one of the loin pieces with 50-50 maple syrup and water, coated the other two with pepper, and smoked at 180 degrees on raised grid until they hit about 150. I used a little bit of hickory at first, then handfuls of cherry chips the remainder of the 4 hours.

They were all great and the family couldn't pick a favorite. Next time I will soak a little longer as these were a bit too salty for our taste, but it is still great especially on BLT's.

Good luck.
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    Clam -

Not sure if you made it to this Thirdeye's web link or not but it is the best!!

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/10/buckboard-bacon.html

Chris C
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    ChrisC posted the direct link to my Buckboard page and I visit about curing tenderloin, loin, chops and butt bacon. I have plenty of pictures too. In fact, I took pictures through out the entire process of these last two loins. I will be getting them up soon.

I also detail some of the techniques and times I use that differ slightly from the curing instructions you get from Hi Mountain. These mostly involve the soaking and resting times.

As far as smoking instructions, the HM instructions are written for a Cookshack type of electric smoker, so smoking it in an Egg, Drum, WSM etc., is a little different.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Clam
    Options