Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egged All Afternoon

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I fired my large BGE at about 11:30 a.m. with a mix of old & fresh BGE brand lump, filled up to just below the top of the fire box. I then cooked some chicken breasts @ 350°; this took about 20 minutes.[p]I then shut down the dampers to a hair's breadth aperture and let it burn slowly at between 225-250° until 4:00 p.m. when I needed it again to smoke some salmon. For this I stirred in some alder chips and let it run (again at around 250°) until the salmon was cooked. This took until about 5:30 p.m. The salmon will be eaten today.[p]Finally I opened up the dampers and let her rip to about 750° to sear some filet steaks for dinner. Following the (now for me) standard method, I brought it down to 400° over 20 mins while the steaks rested and then cooked them until they were med rare.[p]So the egg was running about 7 hours on a not-very-large load of lump and I cooked three separate dishes. There is still about 1/4 firebox full of charcoal in the thing. Amazing.
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)