Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Hot spots?

Options
BBQ BOY
BBQ BOY Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read that the Xl tends to get hotspots. Anyone heard of this? I have been BBQing for 2 decades and haven't heard of such a thing. I just bought my XL and now I am worried I made a big mistake.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    BBQ Boy....Trust me...you did NOT make a mistake! If there are hot spots, they are areas you learn, just like any other smoker, gasser, or grill. Eggs usually cook VERY evenly....if I had to say there was a hot spot, it is usually if I am cooking indirect, and I let the meat extend beyond the plate setter.
    Truly...do not have any doubts.....Sure, there is a learning curve, but with this forum to help, you will be an Eggspert in NO time! B) You will be looking for a large, medium or small to add to your deck in NO time. :)
    Welcome....and jump on in!! :laugh:

PS...3 Lg and medium here...so can't speak for the XL specifically....I think it holds pretty well across the line though. I am sure others will chime in. ;)
  • Pilcher Man
    Options
    I had my XL for about 3 mos. and used it extensively without hot spot problems. I love my XL, glad I got the big one. Use a reducing ring if cooking for 4 or less people. Uses less charcoal and might give you a little more control until you get the hang of the egg. Cut one out of a 15" stainless steel beer keg, 3 1/2" to 4" tall. It will save you some money if you have access to a keg. Pilcher Man
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Neaux hots spots. Been grillin, smokin, bakin on an XL for 3 years and like LC said the time you may have a "hot spot effect" is when meat is hanging beyond the platesetter.

During a demo at my dealers store, I had a couple XL owners ask about a hot spot at the back of the XL. I told them I wasn't aware of one but to simply position one of the legs of the platesetter to the back of the XL.
  • Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    I have been cooking on my XL since early summer and have never noticed hot spots. So I will agree with the others. I am preparing to do a whole (but small) pig on my XL, that'll be a long slow direct cook, so if any hot spots exist, I will know it. But so far, I have nothing but pleased with my XL and the dealership I bought it from.
    Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't know about the XL, but my Large sure has hot spots! My last cook was a flat iron at about 650*. I used a MAPP torch to light it in one spot (center of the lump). Bottom vent wide open, DFMT removed. Possible, I guess, that I didn't have all of the holes in the grate cleaned out and air flow was partially blocked, but this happens all the time. This is what the grid and dome look like now...

4150465228_352bc3af26_o.jpg

4150465266_eb1b4d78c4_o.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    i dont have an xl, but my experience is that all cookers will have a hot spot some place. its just that eggers are more type a in personality and are measuring temps all over the place with all types of gadgets. with my small and large the rear area of the cooker is a little hotter than the front, problem is solved by putting the thicker end of ribs, the thicker end of brisket, the bigger pieces of meat, the legs of a turkey, etc toward the rear of the cooker where they can take a little more heat. the difference in heat isnt all that much and with alot of cooks like the ones mentioned, its a good thing. with most cooks we are moving things around anyways, flipping them over etc, its not a problem. every metal cooker ive used has hot spots as well, its not really noticed unless you have several gages monitoring everything
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it