Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turkey Success and a few Questions

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First turkey last night. BEAUTIFUL! Down side, my wife made me put entire bird in the fridge for me to slice this AM for her to take to work this morning!!! :( Wanted deep smoke flavor, used oak and cherry, and smoke flavor was very nice. Could not get egg up over 350 F until end of cook. Hovered around 300F. While I was afraid I had dried it out by foiling pan and putting in fridge (it had been brined) the flesh this AM was firm and slightly moist - very tasty. Red meat (with some additional oven time) was very moist.

OK, round two begins Wednesday...

Few comments and questions:

1. Red meat needed some additional roasting this AM before taking it to her work (sliced this AM cold). Bird was sitting horizontal during cook (not on stand) and liquid level was up above bottom of bird, maybe an inch or more. Should bird be up out of liquid?

2. Do folks see a more even cook with a stand?

3. Has anyone tried icing a bird after smoking to hold until next day (these would make great gifts)? Thinking of putting in a plastic bag and submerging in icewater bath to shut down cooking (and hopefully hold in all moisture). If this sounds nuts, its probably because I thought of it at 3:30 AM last night as I worried I had dried the bird out and would going to store this AM to get a new one for my wife's lunch party!!! :silly:

4. Last, how does injecting work with BGE turkeys?

Thanks to all that have guided us newbies thru this first holiday as a BGE enthusiast. For New Years a small Goat is going on the grill!!!!

Dave in Keller, Texas

Rules of thumb - basting is good - a lot is better! Opening the BGE and extending cook time just means more time in garage drinking beer! ;)