Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT ...Stumps frozen butt

Options
StumpBaby
StumpBaby Posts: 320
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry for this off topic post ..at least as far as the Stump is concerned..but I got a frozen 6 pound boneless butt..been tryin to thaw that puppy all day..but it's still a wee bit frozen in the middle. I need to get that puppy on right now...if'n it's gonna be done in time to go to the office with me tomorrow. The question is, can I just put it on the egg the way it is..still a wee bit frozen in the very center..or should I wait for another day ? If I put it on the way it is..how much longer will it take ?[p]StumpBaby

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    I would go ahead and cook it. I had some frozen & rubbed
    babybacks that I threw in frozen solid. They came out
    fine. You may just need an extra hour or so.
    Chuck

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    Far be it from me to pitch in on this as I consider myself a "duffer", but I'd go for it. What can you lose? If the center isn't totally cooked you could cut it out (and the ajoining meat), right? I think the only problems you'd have are: A. It might screw up the internal temps on the "polder" and B. It would take a mite longer. It would thaw as it cooks I guess. [p]Like I said, if it was me, I'd do it. But then I had drivers ED (and the "Death on the Highways" movies) right before lunch....[p]Kelly

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    SB,[p]I've done a 3/4 thawed but just like GaDawg discribed and all turned out great. i didn't put the temp probe in for about 6 - 8 hours for fear of getting a false reading. i did cook a little longer than expected.[p]smokey.gif
  • CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    Soooo, just why is it you think this is off topic and I think it is right on?

• StumpBaby
    Options
    CampCook,[p]On accounta I'm a Stump..and it ain't normal for me to be postin here with non of them bbq questions. [p]So..for a Stump..it is entirely off topic..ain't nuttin there about no butt warbles..extra hairy body parts..spare toes..bat wings..prickly pears..bellybutton lint..outhouses..Beulah..momma..poppa..cousin Billy..goat slugs..cauliflower ears....paw paw patches...or giant craniums.[p]I'm sure I left somethin offa that list..but you prolly can see my point[p]StumpBaby

• Big-R
    Big-R Posts: 36
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]Do it. I've actually put a 90% frozen butt on the egg. Couldn't even probe it. Add about an hour to the time. Cooks great. Takes smoke just fine. Done chicken the same way. No problems.[p]Randy
  • Smokey,
    Dang sure a fancy signature there Smokey...I might have to find one like that some of these yrs when I get time.