Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg light?

dubah
dubah Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, anyone have a good light for Egging in the dark?
My incandescent on the wall, about 10' from my egg, doesn't put out near enough light. Now that it's dark by 5:00 it seems like a necessary item to get.
I searched Amazon and google and haven't come up with anything that looks really good. Wondering what you folks use.
Thanks, Larry

Comments

• Well if you want "Really Good" I suggest a Surefire headlamp. Next best thing to a flood light on your house.

http://www.surefire.com/Headlamps
  • I went to Lowe's and got a camo baseball cap with some radical light options. I think $14.00
  • Hayhonker has a good idea and I have one similar to that but I found this at Lowes $20+.and got the idea from another egger on here to put two fender washers on the table for the magnet.
    The pics not the greatest but you get the idea.
    PB010018.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've been holding a 3 D-cell Maglite under my arm. Which sucks. Thanks for the Surefire thought. I have one of these - only 60 lumens, not 100, but still pretty bright. I just clipped it onto a baseball cap and I think that extra long belt clip might actually hold it where I want it. Will find out tonight.

7de42ab9-f5c7-44e8-a40f-7040356d382d.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Are the magnets strong enough to hold that light horizontally? Would it stay put if you stuck it to the lower band on the egg or would the curve of the band kill that idea? I don't have a table, just a nest.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I do a combination of a headlamp and this solar-powered LED lamp that I grabbed for $20 from Ikea. Puts off a lot of light, and don't have to worry about batteries. I leave it sitting in the window next to my charcoal pallet in my barn, so it always stays dry and charged, and just bring it over when I need it.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90154371

0092820_PE229544_S4.JPG

-John
  • CQ,
    It would probably hold.They are strong magnets.Most of the weight is in thebase. I would be concerned about the batteries that are in the base and heat from the band .I never measured the band temp.
    Those head lamps work good too.
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks, Jon. If the flashlight doesn't work out, maybe I'll give it a shot. It's pitch dark now and I just walked outside with the Surefire clipped to the baseball cap. Seems like that's going to work pretty well. I rarely use that overpriced little toy so now, with the egg, at least maybe I'll get some use out of it!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Surefire makes some great flashlights. They are the BGE equivalent at being the best at what they do.
  •  
    Yup, I've got a great light for the egg.
    DSC_0015_640.jpg
    I replaced my outdoor light that was killed in Hurricane Charlie with a 120W halogen flood. I only need and use it for grilling and it is perfect. It has a color close to daylight and the wiring and switch were already in place. With parts from Lowe's it was a very inexpensive do it yourselfer. This photo is pretty darn close to the amount and color of light.

Gator

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Hi Larry!! Good to see you post!! Here is one of mine.

112009.jpg
    :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I need a picture of that!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Use your imagination. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• This tip from a while ago http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=715676&catid=1#
    has worked for me.
    I had a couple of the goose-neck types that died a premature accidental death after getting bumped into the fire.
    This is an almost fit, takes a little flexing. Mines been on for a year and is still working.
    TTFN WLL
  • Carolina Q
    Forgot to report back on this. The flashlight clipped to the cap, above my ear, is awesome! It even stays put when I bend over to take a peek at the under side of a pizza. Pretty strong clip so it also stays at whatever angle I want. It also doesn't feel heavy - hardly noticeable in fact.

This one has two settings, 60 lumens and "might as well be off" (3 lumens, I think). High provides an amazing amount of light. The cap idea would be great for anything where you just don't want to bother holding a flashlight or running an extension cord. Remains to be seen how long the two CR123 3V batteries will last. Mine are not rechargeable, but they have already lasted quite a while.

As someone posted here, Sure Fire is pretty much the BGE of flashlights. Extremely well made and a lifetime warranty too. I'm sure any small flashlight with a decent belt clip would work too.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    This 7 LED head lamp bolted to an old hard hat is comfortable and bright...and the amazing thing is it always is shining where I'm looking! How does it do that? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IMG_0508.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    That's even more stylish than MINE!! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I used to use this heavy Nite Blaster that used 4 batteries and was heavy which caused me to use the hard hat in the first place. This summer it died so I went with the light weight LED that is just as bright and more waterproof besides!

IMG_00611.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Doods, you can get a cheapie LED headlamp for about $6 at Harbor freight.

Check it out: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93549

It's not the kind of thing you'd take spelunking, but it'll light up your grill!

Cheers,
    smokingaspirant
  • hayhonker said:
    Well if you want "Really Good" I suggest a Surefire headlamp. Next best thing to a flood light on your house.

http://www.surefire.com/Headlamps
    I LOVE surefire!!  All of their products are excellent quality, and the customer service is top notch too.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    Yes I have great lighting. Living in the rainy Pacific NW we had a covered deck added to the house years ago. The soffit lights provide lots of usable light. Here if you don't do outdoor cooking in the rain you can only cook outdoors a couple of months a year.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

I have a Grill Pro I got from Cabelas. I can put it around the handle . It's called a Q-lite , about $20.

Works well for me.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI