Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken stew

Options
Julio
Julio Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have any of you Eggsperts ever done an old fashioned chicken stew on the BGE? I would really like to try one if anyone has a recipe to share. Thanks, Julio

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Julio,
    Here is one I cook.This was my Fathers recipe for catfish stew but you can use chicken,salmon or catfish.This can be cooked on the egg.
    Larry[p]Chicken Stew[p][p]3 lbs chicken, cooked & de-boned (fillets are easier!!)
    4 slices fatback
    3 lbs potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
    3 lbs onions, thinly sliced
    2 tbs salt
    2 tbs pepper
    hot pepper sauce[p]Boil chicken (reserving broth), de-bone and set aside. Over high heat, in large Dutch oven, brown fat back. Lower heat; discard fat back (or when no one is looking, eat it…it’s delicious & once a year won’t kill ya!!), leaving drippings in pan. Add one layer of potatoes & one layer of onions. Top with all of the chicken. Repeat layers of potatoes and onions. Pour about half of the broth over top. Add several dashes hot pepper sauce & salt & pepper. Do not stir!! Cover and let simmer for approximately 2 hours. Just before serving, stir well. Yield 6 to 8 servings.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    YB,[p]Sounds very good. I've never had catfish stew...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Julio, I've never done this on the EGG (at least cook the chicken - but I intend to) This recipe came from my grandfather and I very much remember eating it at his house with just a glass of iced tea and a slice of white bread.[p]Whitmire Chicken Stew

I grew up on this stew made by my grandfather - Joe H Simpson of Whitmire SC. Often times this would be our Saturday lunch when I visited. We never tired of it.
    [p]Ingredients
    4.5-5 lbs hen (or chicken pieces)
    2 No. 2 cans tomatoes (No. 2 can contains 20 oz)
    2 No. 2 cans cream-style corn
    2 medium onions (chopped fine)
    2 Tbs vinegar
    1/4 lb butter
    1 tsp salt
    2 Tbs dry mustard
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp black pepper
    7.5 oz bottle Lea & Perrins Worcestireshire sauce
    3 quarts water

Procedure
    1 Place chicken, tomatoes, onion, and vinegar in pot with water and salt.
    2 Cook over medium-high heat until chicken falls off the bone. Remove bones and skin.
    3 Cut the chicken up into small pieces and return to the pot.
    4 In a saucepan, melt the butter.
    5 Add mustard, cayenne, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until mixed. Add to chicken in pot.
    6 Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes on high heat.
    7 Add corn and stir constantly until the mixture comes to a boil. NOTE: Corn will scorch easily so stir and scrape bottom constantly during this time.
    8 Let the stew stand for 15-20 minutes on low heat and serve.
    Special notes:
    1 This freezes well and the flavor actually seems to improve after freezing.

[p]
    I made my first batch of stew and took some to my grandfather to try. He commented that it was pretty good but it needed more worcestershire sauce. I told him I put what the recipe called for and he said that he normally added twice as much but he didn't think most people liked it that way. You might want to up the worcestershire to a bottle and a half or even two bottles.

[p]

• Tanya
    Tanya Posts: 87
    Options
    Wise One, This sounds like a really yummy, hearty chicken stew. I'm anxious to try it! Thanks for the recipe!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    QBabe,
    Thanks...We cooked this alot when we use to camp and hunt.
    Larry[p]