Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pot Roast in Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is just another example of how "old Chester, that's me" has been proven wrong on what is good and worthy to be cooked on the Egg. It's not just my miserly ways that makes me not want to waste lump,
it is also after x # of uses you gotta clean that sucker out and I also a tad lazy. So just like the chicken wings, the lasagna, etc I have now tried a Pot Roast with great results. After considering two methods i.e. cook in iron pot on egg or cook on v-rack over drip pan, I decided to use the v-rack. I Montreal steak dusted it and placed over a drip pan with a few cups of water at 225-250 dome for about 9 to 10 hours till it was about 170 internal...took out wrapped in heavy foil and put in over at 240 a couple hrs till reached 195 internal. When I took meat out of egg to wrap is when I put the halved red potatoes, onion, celery, carrots in the broth the meat had enriched, but first I took enough out that the veggies were about half covered with broth, this made them cook better. Not much progress was being made on getting veggies tender by the time meat was ready so I took them out and put foil over them and cooked in oven till tender which only took 45 min at a higher temp. I can't tell you how good this stuff was , it was great, the flavor in the veggies alone would have made them a great main course if you didn't have meat. But the meat was perfect, you couldn't just use a fork , but after tasting it you didn't care, fabulous is all I can say...something else I learned here is to not fret over the fire not being more adaquate than 12 hrs or so , just stick it in oven and it will be just as good... but to continue to try and build better fires.