Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone cooked fish on cedar plank?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just wondering if anyone has used a cedar plank to cook fish on BGE? If so, what about temps. and times. I am thinking about trying salmon or sea bass...thanks for the input.

Comments

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    biglabmaggie,[p]This is an ancient "planked carp" recipe, but I don't know if it can be adapted to salmon. It is pretty simple: put a whole cleaned carp on a plank, and sprinkle with salt. Smoke it at 250 for three hours, flipping the carp after 90 minutes. When it is done, toss the carp and eat the plank.[p]That might be a waste of good salmon, though.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    biglabmaggie,
    You can see my picumentary of our salmon cook using planks, at my website...in the "Cooks" section....HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Prof Dan,
    Thanks so much for your input...you have been a big help

• Martini Mark in PTC
    Options
    biglabmaggie,
    I have done it in the past with good results. I soak the entire plank in a cake pan for a couple of hours. Then put fish, skin down on plank. I've done them just like this & I have also made a dijon/dill glaze with some olive oil & slathered on top. You could also give a few shakes of your favorite seasoning too. Cook direct, on hot grill, probably 400-500 dome temp. The wood will smolder, but will protect the fish from burning & drying out. It will also be giving it a lovely taste too. Depending on the thickness of your fillet will determine cooking time. Probably 20 minutes or so like this has been my experience. My salmon cuts are thicker than an inch though, so use your best judgement. The outer area of the fish will get done first if it is not an evenly cut fillet. Use your own judgement. Salmon will flake in nice pieces when done & will not be oozing out. It will cook a bit more when removed from the BGE too. Afterwards, you can bust up the plank & mix in with lump. Good luck to you.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP,[p]"Afterwards, you can bust up the plank & mix in with lump."[p]I would think that this would create quite a bit of cedar smoke - not sure how this would taste on the next cook??[p]Chuck
  • Martini Mark in PTC
    Options
    chuckls,
    Sorry. I should have been more specific. I said that I do mix the cedar in. Not all at once. Just a piece or two, much like adding in a few chunks of mesquite, apple etc. Just gives added flavor to the lump. I usually save the cedar chunks for the next time I grill halibut or tuna or for grilled fish sandwiches. Alder works nice for adding in to the lump also.

• Smokin Bob
    Options
    biglabmaggie,[p]I do not even like Salmon or at least I didn't before my BGE. Salmon is now one of my favorites and very easy. I marinade the salmon for a minimum of 20 minutes. Soak the plank for a minimum of an hour. Then I just put the plank on the grill at 400 degrees until you hear the plank start to "crackle". Depending on the thickness it usually takes between 12-25 minutes. The flavor is like nothing else I have had at any restaraunt. Good luck! BoB