Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

filet mignon

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need any advise on cooking the "perfect filet mignon" this will be the first time to fire up our new BGE so any advise would be helpful. Thanks

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Kerri,
    A lot of people like the Trex method which I haven't tried. time.
    Coat steaks in extra virgin olive oil and rub for 1 hour before cooking (at room temp).
    Get egg up to 700 and sear on both sides 2 minutes at a time. Close all vents after searing and let dwell until you have desired steak (rare, medium ect).[p]CWM

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Kerri,
    You can see a couple of ways I do them on my website, in the "cooks" section...maybe even pick up a tip or 2...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Kerri,[p]No rubs on filets ... just crushed garlic, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Anyway, that's the way I like them.

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    Kerri,
    I personally like mine seared at 700* as another said. BE CAREFUL when using this method since this is your first cook on the Egg. See the link I provided on "flashback", I got this link form The Naked Whiz's site and it's a MUST READ
    Thanks TNW!!

[ul][li]Fire! Fire![/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike,
    Boy, if'n that don't get your arms tired! Can't
    ya just rub for a leetle while?[p]And all that ahl on yer hands![p]Pete

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Sespe Pete,
    I'll have the little kids running on the tread mill to run my high pressure pumps take turns.[p]Very bad wording.[p]CWM

• Tanya
    Tanya Posts: 87
    Options
    Kerri, I just got my medium egg in November so am learning from this great forum. Last Sunday I did filets (had them cut 1 1/2" thick), rubbed with olive oil and used Dizzy Pig Cow Lick rub, Olive Oil and a can of beer, put in Zip Lock bag in fridge for most of the day. Took them out about 1 hour before ready to cook, rubbed with Olive Oil and sprinkled with Cow Lick again, Kosher Salt, Ground Pepper and let get to room temp. Did the T-Rex method, 700 degrees for 3 minutes each side, then dwell 5 minutes. They were absolutely the BEST (perfect medium rare)I've ever had. My 16 yr. old stepson is hard to pin down for dinner any more but when I told him we would be doing steaks on the Egg, he said "What time?"! It just amazes me how this method works so great. We also did shrimp (during the dwell time which was just right on time)on skewers. I made a marinade of Butter, Olive Oil, Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin, Old Bay, Lemon Juice, crushed garlic, heated, then cooled for the shrimp to marinade in for about an hour before cooking. They had excellent flavor, the Tsunami Spin is GREAT on Seafood. I'm still EGGsperimenting but have a Boston Butt in the freezer for when I get the nerve up to try a "low and slow" (I'm scared I'm going to blow this). Stick with this forum for advice. A great bunch of people who jump right in to help you when you ask! :-)

• Chainsmoker
    Options
    Tanya,
    just follow Elder Ward's directions and you can't "blow it". I was thinking the same thing about my first low and slow but quickly learned how forgiving it is. You will do fine.
    Ryan

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Kerri,[p]Here's my method for doing strip steaks - you may need to adjust the final roasting time to adapt the method depending on how thick your filets are.[p]Good luck![p]TRex[p]
    [ul][li]Sear, Rest, Roast[/ul]
  • Tanya
    Options
    chainsmoker, What I'm concerned with on low and slow is the polder or guru or whatever else ya'll use. I only have a meat thermometer to insert and it register in a few seconds. But I would have to open and check at intervals. Will that mess with the cooking time and holding the temp low?

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    WessB, nice web site. Love the Nascar part - especially the tribute to those that are gone.[p]Cooking on my two large BGE's is a thing of love - just love to cook.[p]Nascar, on the other hand, makes me act all kinda stupid. Can't get enough! 22 Days, 17 hours, 57 minutes and 43 seconds - until the Daytona 500. Not that I ever visit Jayski's web site or anything.[p]Tickets in hand for the Mar 7th race here in Las Vegas - in the brand new Dale Earnhardt Memorial section. Me and the boy. My favorite is #88, my son's is #24. Tickets on order for California, May 2nd. I need to let the uproar from the other half die down a bit before I order the tickets for the Phoenix race in November.[p]Yep. I got it. Got it good.[p]Already told the other half what I want for Christmas this year. Small BGE. Tailgate. Nascar weekends.[p]Could it possibly be any better?[p]LVM

• Chainsmoker
    Options
    Tanya,
    I don't have a guru. I started out with one of those thermometers that has a cable attached to it and sits outside the egg. You should get something like that. You need to keep the lid closed as much as possible. I've done 20hr. cooks w/o ever lifting the lid. Go to gadgetsource.com and look for the Redi-Chek. It's a remote unit with an alarm so you will know if the temp. of the egg has changed too much. Just follow Elder's instructions, especially the fire building part! It's not really that hard. If you start having trouble just post a question and it will be answered shortly.
    Ryan

• WessB
    Options
    LasVegasMac,
    LOL...thanks for the kind words, and...yup...you got it bad, got me 18 laps comin at Charlotte as soon as I make the reservation..the Richard Petty driving school "Kings Experience" it was a gift from family...I did that whole tribute page probably 7 or 8 years ago, so its a little outdated, it was very painful and rewarding to write, glad to know you appreciate/respect it. The whole Nascar link used to be an entire website on its own, at least twice the size it is today, kinda ost the drive to keep it updated..and I hit Jayski EVERY day...you will love the small egg, got mine a couple months after getting my large, its a steak cookin machine...enjoy your races and eggs...[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    Tanya,
    If your cooking a butt in the 4-6# range with a dome around 250° +/- 25° you will be safe to not open the dome for a good 12 hours without the internal getting to the desired 195-200°, after 12 or so hours you can check it, but you are definately better off with a polder clone and not open the dome at all...however if you have to use your instant read therm, check as little as necessary and bear in mind in the 160-170° "plateau" range..it will hang there for a long time before starting to rise again...dont sweat it, just go for it...[p]Wess

• Dave's Not Here
    Options
    WessB,
    The Petty school sounds great. Boy would I like to do that.[p]It's not NASCAR, but check out this deal. $40 for a driving class and a couple of laps in a Mazda3.[p]Dave

[ul][li]Mazda Rev It Up[/ul]
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Tanya, here's the link chainsmokerwas talking about:
    [ul][li]RediChek[/ul]
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Dave's Not Here,[p]I'd pay 40 bucks for a couple of laps in a Mazda3....I only ever had a coupla laps in a 1973 Buick Skylark...but I remember it well..next time..I'm gonna bring some extra breath mints...[p]Stump

• Tanya
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to see about getting the RediChek before I attempt the butt.