Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fred"s Turkey Grilling Pics

Options
Boss Hogg
Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's a few pics from Fred's Turkey Grilling event this past Saturday.
BigGreeneggPhotos217.jpg
Max at work
BigGreeneggPhotos218.jpg
Max and introducing "Coal Speak" - he's not a new egger, but mostly lurks. However, in his first ever post this past Saturday, he gave me crap for not putting up the pics on a timely basis. I guess he'll fit right in here!
BigGreeneggPhotos219.jpg
(l-r) Zippylip, Mad Max, bill(imitating the Unibomber),Steve P.(not on the Forum), and Coal Speak
BigGreeneggPhotos220.jpg
Max imparting his turkey knowledge
BigGreeneggPhotos222.jpg
BigGreeneggPhotos221.jpg
Woodbutcher and bill
BigGreeneggPhotos225.jpg
Fred getting ready to burn some pizza :laugh:
BigGreeneggPhotos226.jpg
Thanks for looking.
Brian

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Great pics Brian. Looks like y'all had a good time
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    great bunch of pics brian, THANKS!! ... .

and the thing brian didn't tell you all, is that this group of eggers is like the most respected bunch of gents in that part of pennsylvania.. .

bill (the unibomber) is a well respected periodontist. ..it never ceases to amaze me when i'm with him anywhere in that vicinity that everyone around there knows him and fondly refers to him as "doc" . . .and i do mean that EVERYONE knows him. ..

and if i got it right, 'coal speak' is a state senator or some such thing and steve p is like a big shot lawyer and is or has been an elected official as well!!... and of course, zippy is another noted hot shot lawyer in town. . ..

and boss hog, well, he's another guy that ran a successful business in the local 'burg and again, just knows everyone. .. .i swear, going to shillington is like going to mayberry RFD, where everyone knows everybody, but this gang REALLY knows em all.. ..

it was an honor to be amongst em!!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thanks for posting the pics!

It's good to see a dealer having a demo well attended.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice pics and mugs :) !! Thanks for posting!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Pat, We did have a good time. See the blue cups? That's not soda! :woohoo:
    Brian
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    brian,,, how can i use the unibomber look as a disguise if you keep using my name??? now i need a new look.. :laugh: thanks for the 'ingredients' look for them in this weeks throw down ,,
    no point in signing off as the unibomber ,,
    bill
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Max, You did a great job with the Mad Max turkey demo. You packed the place! Since you gave out some bio info, I can clarify the Coal Speak is the chief of staff for a state senator, had he is one funny guy. Steve is a well respected (except by those that know him well :woohoo: )local lawyer and the president of our town council. Another really funny guy. He and Coal Speak both bought their eggs after we did the Hogg Fest at my house.
    Thanks for taking your valuable time to share your turkey grilling secrets with everyone.
    Brian
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I don't guess you had time to cook the turkey until finished, so did you just show the prep and "how tos" of the "Mad Max Turkey recipe" ? Curious, as I might be doing a demo before too long for the local dealer.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    between you and brian and julie i will never be Anonymous again,,
    thanks for posting about your dad ,, mine was a wwII vet as well but has been gone for 41 years..
    bill
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Loco- Fred's event was hopping all day long. Just watch his videos and you see how entertaining he is.
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    bill, Maybe we can just call you.......ted :whistle:
    It was great seeing you again.
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Good golly Miss Molly-wish you could have been there!
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Clark, They actually had a Mad Max turkey cooking on the Egg when we arrived. While that cooked, Max gave his seminar on how to make the Mad Max turkey and gravy using an uncooked turkey. Then, as if on que, as he finished up his talk, the turkey outside was finished and was carved up for all to enjoy.
    Brian
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Brian. BTW what time did everyone arrive? Wondering how long he had it cooking before everyone got there. I am thinking about doing a Mad Max Turkey this Thanksgiving, but trying to get a handle on how long it takes.
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Clark, The event opened at 11AM, and the turkey was well on it's way in the Egg. I think at 325*, it takes about 15 minutes per pound to do the MMT. I've had a few get done in as little as 12 minutes per pound. You can check with Max to find out how much earlier than 11AM that they put the turkey on the Egg.
    Brian
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    clark,

we were basically dealing with 12 pounders. . . so we put about 7 of them in at around 9am. . . mad max'ers, beer can birds, and some others. ...i did my initial "prep" demo at around 12/12:30, so just like on tv, i did the prep on a raw one, then, WAAALLAAA, had the finished one ready to show off for tasting. .. .about an hour later i did the gravy demo. .. . and a couple of hours later had the second bird ready for fred to take home for dinner LOL
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    oh, that one piece of data will alway stay between you, me and her. . .

and as far as your dad, i hope my little story evoked a good memory or two of your dad for you today. ..even 41 years later!!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Rehearsing for your new show on The Food Network: "Mad Max Does the Big Green Egg"? :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:

Did your Mad Max bird take about 3 hours total? (15 min per pound)

Thanks,
  • ranger ray
    Options
    hey "coal speak".... 462??? df?
  • ranger ray
    Options
    hey "coal speak".... 462??? df?
  • coalspeak
    Options
    Thanks for the pics Boss Hogg- you delivered within a "few" days. I know now not to call you out on the forum ....(I'll have to get better with email)
  • coalspeak
    Options
    Ranger Ray

wow - is it that obvious by the pics!!! Not a 462 native-but I've driven through 462 on the way to the Ak-a-mee and 'da heights-df.
  • yes max it really did stir up the memories. he started in north africa to anzio to battle of the bulge where he was wounded ,, he never spoke of the war and i was 17 when he died.. seeing a picture of your dad or having a wwII vet in the office always makes me wonder what if... what would he have been like as a grandfather.. and such.. ... thnaks again for posting that .
    bill
  • Ted!!!! that's funny :laugh:
    thinking we should start some sort of phila burbs/ s.e. pa eggers like the N. Ga. group
    bill
  • Shazbot
    Options
    where do yous get your kielbo?