Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two questions from new egger?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two things I see repeatedly...[p]1) What is the exact difference between direct and indirect cooking? This weekend I did a pork butt with v-rack and drip pan...was that indirect simply because the pan was between the coals and meat?[p]2) What is a smoke ring?[p]Thanks very much.

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    biglabmaggie,
    Indirect cooking is simply putting something between the fire and the food. Some people use their platesetter or pizza stone, or firebricks, or ir can be just a drip pan. I am in the group that uses just a drip pan, and I just use disposable foil pans. The only thing I use my platesetter and pizza stone for is pizza.[p]The smoke ring is the pink or red ring around the outside of the meat after it has been smoked. From what I understand, it is simply just a chemical reaction between the meat and the smoke. The link is to a picture of a meatloaf with an exceptional smoke ring. [p]~nikki

[ul][li]Meatloaf Smoke Ring[/ul]