Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye o' Round - Direct or Indirect?

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought 6 lbs worth of eye of round at Sam's that was cut into two 3 lb roasts. Having a little partay Saturday night (I'm turning 35 - no gifts, please) and I was hoping to cook the beef sometime in the afternoon and slice thinly to put out for sammies or whatever with the other fare.[p]Been checking out the archives and folks seem to be all over the map on how to cook one of these puppies - direct, indirect? Sear first or what? Seems to me it's a pretty lean piece of meat so probably should cook fast. If any of the experts have any suggestions I would be grateful.[p]Gracias.[p]JP

Comments

• Banker John
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    You may want to try the drunk & dirty method. Keep in mind that it was originally for a tenderloin, so the texture may be slightly different. As for flavor, I can attest it is fantastic.[p]However you cook it, keep in mind that eye roasts are very good cooked, chilled and sliced thin for sandwiches. I have done them at 350 indirect with a sear at the end with very good results. No competitions or anything, so in my mind they are good. I have even cooked them for the sole purpose of chilling to be sliced for sandwiches.[p]Good luck and let us know how you end up doing yours. I'm sure others will chime in with their $.02 I'll read them and pick up some pointers to improve on how I have been cooking the eye roasts.[p]Banker John

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    You can see how I made "Pit Beef" on my website. This stuff is wonderful, although many have never tried it. Its in the "Cooks" section.....[p]
    Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • WessB, thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it. Quick question about the round steak cook: Did you do it direct or indirect? Thx.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Banker John,
    I agree with this suggestion. If you have not tried this methode, you should.
    RhumAndJerk

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Jerr,
    Direct....if I left that out of the description I will have to go in and add it later this evening, as that is a very important factor...Thanks[p]Wess

• Banker John
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I've done the D&D tenderloin, just not on the cut of meat he was referring to. It may be a really fun and tasty experiment.[p]Banker John

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Banker John,
    I figured that you had and was agreeing with you that Cornbread Willy should try this method.
    Sorry for the confusion,
    R&J

• Mustang Sally
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    I combined all the different info I found in the archives and now I cook eye of round like this:
    coat with olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning
    Lay bacon over the top (adds a bit more flavor and moisture)
    Have egg heated to 300
    Cook direct until it reaches 125-130 (cooking usu. takes 1-1 1/2 hours but the internal temp is the key)
    Remove and stick in a plastic bag, remove air, seal tightly to hold in the juice. Wrap in foil and place in cooler or in a plush towel for 30min-1 hour.
    Unwrap and save all those juices for pouring over sliced meat.
    Slice thin with a electric knife and put in plastic container in refrig and eat for sandwiches or as main course. I think the biggest key with eye of round is rareness and thin slices. Hope this isn't too late to be of help.