Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friend is debating large vs xl

Options
Knauf
Knauf Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can't find the pics to show him that the large is all he needs.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    Why talk him out of an XL? I have gotten to where my XL is my egg of choice for large cooks and the small for family cooks.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I would get the large over the XL unless he typically feeds 15+ people at a time. I have a medium and can cook for 6 people comfortably using very little lump. My next egg will be a large!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here you go:::

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

04-05-2008006.jpg

mmturk005.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I opted for the large with no regrets. I'm sure the XL is awesome but I never need that much cooking area. Wish I'd saved a few of those posted shots showing what a large is capable of!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    You can make bigger pizzas on an Xlarge :)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Knauf,

If I were buying my first right now I would look at the new XL design. Sweet.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    This is a pre-recorded message:

I often hear that the large does not have the capacity to cook for a large family.

Let me tell you that is a lot of bull. When my family gets together we are typically 20+. My XL sits there and wishes I would use him.

So here is my proof:

Please note the amount of sausage on this egg:
    IMG_8030-020.jpg

6 7-9 pound butts on this egg:

IMG_8055-033.jpg

Just for contrast please note the amount of meat on this Lang 60:

IMG_8059-035.jpg

I cooked 18 butts on 3 eggs and took up less space.

My XL gets used when I cater and even then it's only used for something that may not physically fit on my large and can't be cut into smaller chunks.

Ohh did I tell you I have 2 small eggs too. You will NOT be disappointed with the Egg, unless you fail to learn how to use it or don't use it. Many of us use it as our primary cooking
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    What Gene said. XL, Small, And Mini in da house

But most of all, quit debating. I think he should get an XL or L :laugh:
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I love my XL. I bought a medium for cooks when I just have smaller items like chicken, fish, or steaks.

But I end up using the XL far more, due to the space. Last night I did three leg quarters raised (on a medium woo), and did beets and asparagus on the remaining primary grid. I was using the lump reducing ring (which I use a bunch), so the veggies were not directly over the fire when I didn't want them to be.

With Toms accessories, the XL is extremely flexible for grilling and cooking.

I agree with CW that for cooking large amounts of meat low and slow, the large is sufficient, but if you want extra grid for bigger grills (meat and sides), the XL comes in real handy. I wouldn't trade mine for a large, or even a large and a small.

But that's just me and my family of six.

Richard
  • stones
    stones Posts: 61
    Options
    I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS. I have $$$'s and room and i finally(with the help of this forum) went large. Should be here soon.

Good Luck. Large is plenty for 8-12 people. Plus can spend extra $$$'s on all the extras like i did.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    I have $$$'s and room
    you should have bought TWO large :woohoo: :P
    canuckland
  • Pilcher Man
    Options
    If he can afford the xlg egg I say get it. He can always put a reducing ring in it for small cooks but will still have room to cook for a crowd if need be. Depends on his needs. I love my xlg bge.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Steve,
    What do you mean by new XL design ? Am I missing something ? I bought my XL last June. Or is there a newer XL model coming ?

Thanks.

Gary