Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burn off -or- Clean off

Options
BigGreenDon
BigGreenDon Posts: 167
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...your grate that is...?

I've been cleaning mine, and it is the only real PIA of using the BGE. Somebody talk me out of it!

Related question: If I buy a cast iron grate, do I just try to season it? Maybe rub it down with a wet towel and spray vegatable oil on it while it is still hot to clean it?

Later,
Don

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I've never washed any of my grates, just toss them in when doing a clean burn.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nope. Never. Had a Weber for years and never cleaned it. Before a cook, I might brush it with a brass wire brush, but that's it. Had my egg for a couple of months... same old same old. I figure the heat's gonna kill whatever's growing there. So far, I'm winning. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    Options
    I take a stiff wire grill brush and run it over the grate. That gets off the bulk of it. If I cooked something especially messy, I might take my time and do a more thorough job, but most of the time it's just 20 seconds of raking.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    for most of the time I just scrape my wire grates before using them again to get the crusted crud off. OTOH when we have company and I'm showing the entree before putting on the egg I use auxiliary grates which are nice and clean. IMO unless you are an egger you don't understand what a seasonal grate/egg looks like on the inside and may be turned off! BTW just yesterday I cleaned 11 auxiliary grates...I find it easier to hold off and clean many at one time - maybe that's just me!
    As for your cast iron question - seasoning of a ci grate isn't the same as a cast iron pot or pan. When that grate gets hot which you want for searing it will lose any seasoning/rust/crud or whatever!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The grease and food bits left on the cooking grid act as a protectant when not in use. Build your fire, put on the grid, char it good, then it will brush off with ease. You are ready to cook.
    On a Big Green Egg, the "Grate" is the piece with holes that rests in firebox, supporting the lump charcoal. The piece you cook on is the "grid".
    Regarding CI grids, proper care is a little more debated. Some clean and lube after each cook, and some leave on the Egg dirty.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Never washed it. Just burn it off. If doing a high temp burn the thing comes out really clean anyway.

I use a stainless steel brush to knock the crud off before cooking.

Probably not a bad idea to season a CI grid. I do it occasionally.
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I clean my grate (the porcelain one). I use a properly sized garbage can cover with hot soapy water and scrub with a chore boy (a copper scrubbing pad), For heavy cleanup of rib racks and extended grate and grids from a big messy cook it everything goes in the dishwasher with a grease bullet.
    The dishwasher grease bullet process isn’t perfect but when done anything that’s left can be easily removed.
    I do a cleanout burn in the egg after a rib cook. The leftover stuff will make for a nasty smelling bread cook if you don’t.
    Lastly I clean my pizza stone by inverting it on my spider when doing a cleanout burn.

I do think grids get cleaned by a hot fire during a cleanout burn.
    When I look at what I just wrote it seems like I must be some kind of Type A fussy guy, believe me I’m not. I just think clean grids and good charcoal makes for a good cook.
    TTFN WLL
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Not picking on anyone in particular here, but I find this topic presents an interesting conflict.

People that wouldn't DREAM of letting a piece of cooked meat sit out for more than 4 hours for fear of food poisoning and bacterial growth will let a cooking grid covered in leftover food bits, sauce, grease, etc. sit and fester for days, then give it a quick brush and cook away. Why is this?

The bacteria themselves we've been told are not necessarily the only problem, but the toxins they leave behind that we must fear. Does heating the grid and giving it a quick brush get rid of or somehow neutralize these toxic remnants? Surely the bacteria that are growing on that grid don't survive, but what about these toxins?
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I guess I generally leave the fire on the egg after a cook and an burn the stuff off. As others mentioned a really messy cook is reason for a high temp burn which cleans everything.

So what is your solution? Is there one?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I can't answer your question, Rod, but I've been grillin' for about 40+ years and doubt I've washed a grid twice. Perhaps the residual heat after a cook takes care of whatever gremlins are lurking. Or the heat from the next time I fire it up. Or maybe there ARE no gremlins. Don't know, but so far, I have seen no ill effects from just a quick brush (if I'm in the mood) before the next use.

And as for leaving food out, my mom is famous for that. Mid-day Thanksgiving meal. Spend the rest of the day wandering in and out of the kitchen picking at leftovers sitting on the counter. Turkey, ham, potatoes, pumpkin pie, whatever. She does refrigerate everything before she goes to bed though. :) None of us have ever gotten sick from THAT either. Oh, and she also stuffs the bird. She's been doing this for a very long time... she's 93!

I often wonder if many of the issues "they" warn us about really are issues. Ya know?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:

I often wonder if many of the issues "they" warn us about really are issues. Ya know?

Precisely my point.