Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JSLOT...Need some rib advice

Options
Mac  in NC
Mac in NC Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just found your technique for cooking ribs in the archives. Dude, I'm putting all my trust in ya just like your rib cooking technique says to do. I'm going to try your 375 degree method over conventional 225. "Why" some may ask? Because I've been told that your ribs rock and I believe 'em. I've got a household of guests arriving at 3:00 pm to taste EGG cooking for the first time and I've got complete confidence in your method of madness bro'!! No fellow Creeker would do me wrong.
My questions however are such... (1) I'm using a medium not a large, will that make a difference? (2) The ribs I have are baby backs not spares, do I need to adjust cooking temps or times? (3) Can I use a plare setter instead or is the pizza stone the way to go? (I have both)
Looking forward to hearing back from ya. BTW, I got you down for two cases of the coconut lump too. Thanks in advance, Mac

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I use the plate setter, Mac. I've modified that method somewhat since it was originally posted back in the late 90's. Wise One was supposed to update it in the .pdf version of his cookbook, but I still have only seen the old one. The main modification is I moved the temp down to 350°. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference if it gets a little higher than that. I place foil under the ends of the ribs that extend beyond the shielding of the plate setter to prevent scorching. I use this method with spares due to the extra fat content. You may have to keep a closer eye on the baby backs to keep them from drying out, but I believe you will be fine. If they are getting done sooner than you expect, just wrap 'em in foil. Let me know how they turn out![p]Jim
  • Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    JSlot,[p] O.K. platesetter, 350 degrees, foil under ribs that extend past platesetter. I think I'll just add some juice to the drip pan. Maybe that will help a lil with dry out prevention.
    I'll surely let you know how they turn out!! Thanks! Mac [p]