Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grilled skrimp

Options
Chainsmoker
Chainsmoker Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anybody ever egged any shrimp? I've never grilled any on any type of grill and need some tips. Temp, time, smoke or not? Thanks,
Ryan

Comments

• chainsmoker,
    I guess it depends on the size of shrimp... I did a bunch of 31-40's (# of shrimp in a lb) the other night on skewers. [p]First... I tossed them in oil with a little salt, pepper, parika, and fresh minced garlic.... let them sit in fridge for about 30 min. Put them on skewers with shells still on and cooked them for 2.5 minutes a side (shells still on) at 400 to 450 degrees. Came out perfect. I didn't use smoke but put them on after some burgers so there was a little burger smoke leftover.. overall I felt the lump gave enough smoke/ grilled flavor for me.[p]They came out great.. if you use bigger shrimp I would add a little bit to the cook time but not too much... shrimp cook quick.[p]Good eatin...

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    chainsmoker,[p]Shrimp done right are not overcooked. It is a delicate balance between shrimp size, beginning temp, and egg temp, When I cook shrimp, (low contry boil, smoke, or grill) I taste as I go as to not overcook. I will begn tasting the shrimp when they turn pink. You may be able to feel them and as they get firm they are done, just remember, it is a fine line and they continue to cook after they are removed from the heat. Because of this I have a difficult time feeling the shrimp to determine doneness. I like the taste of a medium shrimp (20/lb) as opposed to a large (15/lb) or extra large (10/lb) size. That said it is easier to cook the larger shrimp because it is more difficult to overcook the larger size. Anyway, peel the shrimp, skewer them w/ bamboo soaked in water, marinade in olive oil, chili sauce, Louisana Hot sauce, galic, onion, crushed red pepper, lemon juice, lime juice, a shot of tequilla, and whatever else you like. Grill them till they are almost done @ 300 degrees w/ mild smoke til done. Make alot and call me, I will gladly help eat them
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    chainsmoker,
    I grill the medium ones.
    Remove the heads and shell, leaving the tail.
    Put them in a zip-lock bag and add enough "Jamaican Firewalk" to lightly coat while you shake the bag.
    Go build a hot fire, I mean hot!
    put the shrimp on the grill (you can use skewers, makes 'em easier to turn) for about 10 to 15 minutes, flip 'em over and grill for about another 5 minutes. Don't overcook.[p]Nice and crispy coating, spicy taste and *might* even make you forget about ABT's for a while.[p]BOB
    (I said might)

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    chainsmoker,[p]Here's a link to some we did recently from Raichlen's BBQ Bible called "Bahian Shrimp". The peanut sauce was excellent. Served with pasta.[p]Enjoy,
    QBabe
    :~)

[ul][li]Bahian Shrimp Thread[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    chainsmoker,[p]Here's another one to try that was super. A little while back, Stogie posted this recipe that he got from QSis who got it from Steve Raichlen. This turned out GREAT! Will definately do this one again![p]gulf-coast-shrimp-resized.png[p]Gulf Coast Shrimp [p]1 1/2 pound(s) Shrimp
    1 cup Clam juice
    1/2 cup Butter
    6 cloves Garlic, minced
    4 Scalllion(s), minced
    1-2 tablespoon(s) Tabasco
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 Bay leaf(s)
    1-2 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoon(s) Paprika
    2 teaspoon(s) Thyme, dried
    2 teaspoon(s) Oregano, dried
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt
    1 teaspoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
    1/2 cup Corn syrup, dark
    1/4 cup Molasses[p]PREPARATION:
    When shelling shrimp, KEEP the shells.[p]Combine those and the clam juice and bring to boil, then let simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.[p]Strain this broth and add everything else.[p]Bring to boil and cook, uncovered, till thick, about 10 minutes.[p]Cool to room temp and add shrimp.[p]Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.[p]Grill shrimp or cook in oven in the marinade.[p]If grilling, brush with marinade.[p]Boil remaining marinade to reduce a bit and serve with shrimp. [p]QBabe
    :~)