Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABTs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright, I have read enough about these ABTs. I have to try and make some, but I want to know what is the 'recommended' recipe. Jalapeno peppers, bacon, what else? I have seen references to cocktail sausages. Is there anything else that I am missing? What temp to cook at? How long? [p]My wife will probably not eat any (doesn't like jalapenos), so that's more for me!![p]Been cooking on my egg for a year, and haven't yet made anything that I didn't like.

Comments

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    abts.jpg
    <p />RetAF (Springfield, MO),
    I did this small bunch of ABTs for lunch (they are Atkins friendly). I simply split the peppers, removed the seeds and membranes - stuffed with a bit of cream cheese that had been mixed with a sprinkle of garlic powder - topped with a piece of summer sausage I received for Christmas - wrapped in bacon and pinned with a toothpick. Cooked at 325 - 350 for about 40 minutes, flipping at the half-way mark.[p]By the way, if you use cocktail toothpicks, the dye tends to bleed off into the cream cheese. Freaks out some folks but that just leaves more for me![p]Doc

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    RetAF (Springfield, MO),
    Hubby prefers pulled pork with his. We have also used sausages and hamburger (cooked and drained). I am in the same boat as your wife. I do not like jalapenos, but I do like to eat just the filling and bacon. Makes hubby mad that I am wasting perfectly good jalapenos.[p]~nikki

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    FatDog,
    I also make up small batches like that for lunch or a snack for myself from time to time. They sure hit the spot.[p]I use both the colored and plain toothpicks and never noticed any of the color running into the cream cheese. It must be a particular brand of toothpick. However, I will keep that in mind when I buy my next ones.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RetAF (Springfield, MO),[p]I made both batches (so far) with softened cream cheese and half-links of maple-flavor breakfast sausage. 250° for an hour, rotating the grill every quarter-hour. A little mild wood (apple, peach, etc.) lends a nice flavor.[p]For my second batch, I added lime honey and lime juice to the cream cheese and really liked the sweet, tart, hot combination.[p]Ken
  • ranger ray
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    don't make any abt's....my counselor says that i have an addiction....once you start on 'em....there's no comin' back...it gets worse the more you experiment!!!!save yourself!.....don't even think about smoked almonds! LOL...ray

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I love the maple flavored breakfast sausages, I assumed you cooked the sausage first and then used small pieces???[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Nope, just cut each link in half and put 'em on top. They were beautifully done when I took em off.[p]Ken
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Ken, did you cut the lengthwise (making a thinner link) or short cut across the center??? also, no bacon, right??? LOL[p]Cheers,
    New Bob