Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Juggies Bacon

Options
WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recall some time ago that JuggyDBeerman had a good technique for smoking bacon. Anyone remember it? Juggy, are you out there?[p]Anyone else have a favorite technique?

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    WudEyeDoo:[p]Smoked bacon is out of this world. I make sure I have a supply on hand (it freezes well) when the garden is producing tomatoes. Nothing better than fresh tomato sandwiches and smoked bacon . . .
    [ul][li]Juggy's Smoked Bacon[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,914
    Options
    djm5x9, I never make a pizza that doesn't have one piece of smoked bacon that I dice in to a little smaller than "Bacon Bit" sizes. Two pieces is too much but one provides just the right taste bud tingle to pizza to enhance whatever other meat you might use. BTW I stack the smoked bacon between strips of waxed paper so a full 2 pounds of bacon make a nice tight bundle for the freezer and easy to separate piece by piece.

• WudEyeDoo, Of course I am out there! Ask anyone who has interacted with me and they will testify that Juggy is indeed out there.............[p]Now keep in mind, I don't own a BGE and my technique originated on that dreaded Weber Kettle. The short story is I cook the bacon between 275-300ºF using an indirect method. This means the bacon does not sit directly over the coals. I use cherry wood for the smoke flavoring. You will have to keep a very close eye on the bacon as it cooks. It takes anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes to cook. It is critical to keep a sharp eye on the bacon when it is getting close to being done as there is a very fine line between done and burnt.[p]One thing I must stress is that if you do this on the Egg, you will need some type of method to collect the grease where it will not smolder. If you don't collect the grease, you will have one big mess in your Egg and a grease fire the next time you use it. If the grease smolders, the smoke will flavor the bacon.[p]There are eggers here on the forum who have done this with some success. I know Car Wash Mike has tried this with some success. If I am not mistaken, I believe WooDoggie has tried this too. The link below will take you to a post by Puj from two years ago where he describes his method of cooking bacon on the Egg. [p]If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or e-mail me at the above address.[p]Hoppy New Beers,[p]Juggy D Beerman

[ul][li]Bacon[/ul]
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,[p]Juggy and Darryl took care of the how's. Have fun smoking the bacon; its just wonderful, wonderful eats![p]Puj
  • WudEyeDoo
    Options
    Thanks to each of you for the great and timely info. I'm going to the store today to get me some bacon!
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    WudEyeDoo:[p]When you make purchase, forget the pre-packaged bacon. Seek a source that has it in bulk and sliced in the meat case. This bacon tends to be a little thicker and depending on the source better.
    [/b]
  • WudEyeDoo
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Great suggestion. I think I know just the place.[p]Thanks,
    Bob