Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts?

Options
GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks. Was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to cook simple boneless, skinless chicken breasts on the BGE.

What temp and for how long?

Thanks!

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Georgia...As I have said many times before, by the time this thread is finished, you will see there are many "correct" ways to do things on the Egg. Over time you will find the methods that work best for you. ;)
    I get the egg stabilized about 400*, then open the dome, let the coals come alive, and sear/cook direct until an internal temp of 155-160*. Pull and allow to rest 5 minutes before carving.
    You can use whatever marinade, rub, etc strikes your fancy. :)
    Remember when cooking meats, cook to internal temperatures, not by time. Breasts shouldn't take more than about 7 or 8 minutes, but again, verify with internal temp.
    Wish you the best! :)
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I agree with LC....lots of ways to cook chicken breast...here is another idea...try indirect at 375 with the breast wrapped in maple bacon...cook until the breasts are internal 160 and bacon is done...let the breast rest a few minutes then slice & serve...mmmm bacon
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    GeorgiaBorn,
    Welcome to the forum.

Like LC said there are a lot of ways to do this. I prefer the indirect way but I plan to do it the direct way next time just to see the differnce.

I used the search engine in this forum to find a post for you to grill your breasts and this is what I found. Tim

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=388150&catid=1#
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I have been using anywhere from 350-400 degrees and pulling them at 155 degrees internal (Thermapen reading) and letting them set 4-5 min during which time they go to 160+ degrees internal. They are very moist. When I pulled them at 160 degrees the wife says they are too dry.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    fried then woked, but dont do it, you havent had the egg long enough to try it. ;) like has been said, the majic number is 160 degrees internal and remove. if it gets over 165 they dry out quickly on the grill. if you have not looked into a thermapen yet, do it, its the most important tool for the grill, that temp gage and this chart come in real handy.
    http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gregegg
    gregegg Posts: 68
    Options
    The only bad thing about this forum is that if you don't keep up, you will miss something good.

Thanks for the references!

Greg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    the charts a good starting point, then you add some mental notes such as 125 is fine for a ribeye, but 122 is better for a stripsteak. not much of a difference in temps but it means everything to my steak.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    GeorgiaBorn,

I like them seared on CI after a marinade and then finished on the grill.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sooner Egg
    Options
    what has worked best for me has been to lightly oil with EVOO, season with my favorite rub and some kosher salt then cook at 400 direct until internal temp of 160, remove & cover loosely with foil on a platter and let rest for 5 minutes
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    Thank you all! Appreciate the chicken advice. Wow, love this forum!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    hard to beat these boneless chicken breast sandwiches.
    IMG_0234-1.jpg

They were pounded flat and then marinated for 4 hours in Zesty Italian salad dressing. Then dusted with some Dizzy Pig Shakin the Tree rub and then egged direct at 450 dome for 4/4/1 with the last 1 used to melt half a piece of muenster cheese and havarti cheese. Then served with mayo and lettuce on a butter croissant. What a meal!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I like to do them the same way.
    Makes for great lunches at work.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    hard to beat these boneless chicken breast sandwiches.

They were pounded flat and then marinated for 4 hours in Zesty Italian salad dressing. Then dusted with some Dizzy Pig Shakin the Tree rub and then egged direct at 450 dome for 4/4/1 with the last 1 used to melt half a piece of muenster cheese and havarti cheese. Then served with mayo and lettuce on a butter croissant. What a meal!!!

Wow, 8 minutes direct pounded flat? Didn't they dry out?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    they never have - perhaps the marinating instills more moisture? Granted they aren't juicy, but not desert dry either.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    Thank you once again forum Gods!

Marinated the chicken breasts (not pounded) in fat free Zesty Italian for a couple of hours. Took them out and dusted them with BGE spices. Brought the BGE to 500 degrees and then dropped to 425 and cooked the breasts for 4 minutes per side. Chicken temp was a perfect 160. Took them off, let em rest for 3-5 minutes and ate what was the best boneless, skinless chicken breasts I have ever tasted.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    ALLLLLLLL Right!!!!!!! :P
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Been a while since I've done chicken breasts, but that sounds about like I'd do them, 425ish. I like to cook 'em hot so they get a nice brown exterior without overcooking the interior. I also pound them to get a more uniform thickness.

Try dizzy pig seasonings. I think this was tsunami spin.
    IMG_0785.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Georgia: Congratulations!!! :laugh: And to think it was just a couple days ago you were ready to "toss in the towel" :laugh: :blink: :pinch: You have obviously turned the corner to many successful cooks ahead of you. ;) Keep on Eggin!! :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Way to go GB!!!!

I'm like Little Chef - glad you "hung in there" and now you're hooked ! :ohmy:
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    Oh I am hooked for sure! I have fired up that egg 5 days in a row.