Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin Help

FatDog
FatDog Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been invited to a traditional new year's dinner tomorrow and have been asked to make a pork roast. A trip to Sam's has produced a fine pork loin that is in the 'fridge right now basking in the glow of a good rub. The question is this ...[p]Where (temperature wise) should I cook this beast and for how long? I am thinking about 250*, indirect, to an internal temp of about 165*. Sound good to anyone?[p]Also, I'd like a good bourbon glaze (with a bit of sweetness maybe). Any help will be appreciated.[p]Doc

Comments

• FatDog,
    I cook mine at 350 until an internal of 140-145. I use an elevated grid with only a drip pan underneath...no ceramics.[p]~nikki

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    I do mine at 350° indirect with plate setter and drip pan, Dog. As Nikki said, pull at 140-145° internal. I pull mine at 140° for slightly pink in the center.[p]Happy New Year!
    Jim

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    FatDog, here is one that I have done before on the stove and it was wonderful. Try it on the egg and let us know how it turns out.[p]Pork Loin with Bourbon

Always a hit with guests.
    [p]Ingredients
    5-6 lb pork loin, boned and tied
    1 jar (8 oz) Dijon Mustard
    2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
    3 Tbs peanut oil
    1 1/2 cups bourbon, divided
    3 cups beef broth
    Bouquet garni (sage, parsley, thyme, bay leaf)
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    6 oz dried apricots
    cornstarch (optional)

Procedure
    1 Pat meat dry with paper towels.
    2 Rub meat with mustard, then roll in brown sugar. (Discard any extra mustard and sugar)
    3 Heat oil in large Dutch oven. Brown meat on all sides over medium heat, being careful not to burn. Spoon mustard mixture over meat as it browns.
    4 Add 1/2 cup bourbon. Allow bourbon to warm, then ignite with match. Allow to burn out.
    5 Repeat process using 1/2 cup bourbon until all the bourbon has been used.
    6 Add beef broth. Cover and bake at 325°F for 1 hour, basting often.
    7 Turn meat over. Add bouquet garni, salt and pepper. Bake an additional 2 hours basting often.
    8 Add apricots during last 15 minutes of cooking.
    9 Place meat on warm platter. remove bouquet garni and simmer sauce until reduced by half.
    10 Thicken with cornstarch, if desired.
    11 Serve sauce over meat.

Servings: 8

Recipe Source
    Source: "Second Round: Tea Time at the Masters"

[p]

• FatDog,
    Pork loin is great, but tends to be dry. Your idea of an internal temperature of 165 is FAR too high---145 is ideal. If you wrap the finished loin and allow it to rest for 20-30 minutes the temperature will continue to increase a few degrees.
    I cooked one two weeks ago that turned out very good. I layed it flat on a cutting board and sliced it horizontally, almost completely through, unfolded it and applied a thick layer of pesto sauce. Fold the top part back into the original position and pin the free edges with bamboo skewers. To help prevent dryness, I sprayed the top and sides of the loin with olive oil, then seasoned with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Egged indirect using a V rack over drip pan at 250F until Polder read 145F, wrapped in foil and allowed to rest in styrofoam chest.
    Good luck, and a great 2004 to you and family.