Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6 babybacks on a 4 slot rib rack

Options
chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I got some baby back ribs from Sam's Club, and wouldn't you know there were 3 full racks in a package. So when I cut them in half, I had six half-slabs of babybacks, and my brand new rib rack only had room for four.[p]So, working a little magic with some bamboo skewers, I got them all in![p]Here's the details:[p]Rub w/ mustard & sprinkle on Dizzy Pig Raging River rub[p]Let sit for four hours[p]Set up egg w/ Cowboy lump (wishing I had some Wicked Good), pizza stone, drip pan w/ water, and grid extender[p]1st stage 2 hr @ 200[p]2nd stage 1.5 hr @ 250 (foiled, stone, no drip pan)[p]3rd stage 1 hr @ 250 (pizza stone, drip pan, but no water)[p]Result: Excellent!! I'm set for lunches this week w/ ribs and abt's[p]Happy New Year! [p]Chuck[p]
ribs1.jpg
[p][p]
ribson.jpg
[p][p]
ribsdone.jpg
[p][p]

Comments

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    chuckls,
    I have been eggin since august 2003 and have never done baby backs, since I find the to be quite expensive.
    $4.99 per lb at the local Albertsons and wally world.
    compared to $1.69 per lb for regular old spare ribs
    could you or some one tell me what the major differance in the two cuts is.
    Thanx
    Glenn

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ribset23.jpg
    <p />chuckls,[p]I see it worked for you. I like to flip and rotate mine so they cook more evenly and I just lay two of them on the sides of my 4 rack holder. As long as they come out good any method is a good one.[p]Tim
  • Mustang Sally
    Options
    Glenn,
    I had the opportunity to read Cheryl & Bill Jamison's book
    "Smoke & Spice" while enduring an 11 hour drive over the holidays. Their explanation is as follows: "Rib cuts can get confusing. Pork spareribs come from the belly of the hog, next to the bacon, and are great for BBQing because of their combination of meat, fat, and pork flavor. Butchers used to discard the tough cut until they discovered it could be tenderized through slow smoking. Loin ribs, baby back ribs (the loin ribs of a small pig), and country ribs are all "better", more expensive cuts. They taste good bbq'd, too, but they don't depend as much on the process for their flavor." page 72. Hope that helps to answer your question! I have really enjoyed this book and plan to buy a copy for myself (have library copy now).

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Whoa, MustangSally, better slow your mustang down!! Never, ever, ever mention country style ribs with spares or baby backs. LOL! Just kidding! It's ok to mention them, but country style ribs aren't actually ribs at all. They are usually pork steaks cut from the shoulder blade end of the loin section. No, they may not be ribs, but they sure are mighty fine eatin' in their own right!![p]Happy Holidays!
    Jim

• Mustang Sally
    Options
    JSlot,
    The brakes are ON! I was just directly quoting from the Smoke and Spice book....ouch! I don't know much about where meat cuts come from other than the meat counter...HA!:) But I am learning albeit slowly. I do know that I much prefer pork ribs over beef ribs. Perhaps with the egg I will be able to cook some beef ribs that don't taste like cowboy's boot. It is really cold and windy with flurries flurrying here in Wisconsin but the egg is working away and holding temp like my Weber Genesis only dreamt of doing. I have a "beef round eye of round roast" cooking away right now...seasoned one half with Emerils seasoning and one half with Montreal steak seasoning...just to see which I preferred. The last time I cooked one of these roasts it was absolutely wonderful. {Sliced thin with juice poured over.}This time cooking at 300 until 130 degrees internal, then will wrap in saran wrap and foil, let set in cooler for an hour. (Learned all of this from you great BBQ'ers.) Have a prime rib roast ready for New Years and been reading all the archives for cooking ideas. One more thing...do any of you think a round eye of round roast would make good beef jerky?

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Eye of round is perfect for jerky, Sally. It's a nice lean cut. The roast sounds great, too. Beef ribs are the toughest thing I've found to cook consistently. I've had pretty good luck recently with some Walmart cryovaced beef ribs. However, the best beef ribs I have done yet were attached to that great rib roast on Christmas day! They were great to gnaw on a couple hours after the main meal![p]Happy New Year!
    Jim