Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need help getting to and maintaining low temps

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I'm new, and have the large egg. I'm trying to get my egg down to 160-180 for slow cooking jerky. I cant seem to get it below 225, and I'm afraid if I shut down both openings completely, I'll kill the coals. I'll take any advice you may have. If it matters, the ambient temp here in Tampa is about 68 degrees. Thank you, Scott

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Scott Borders,
    I've done jerky a couple of times and I managed to get the temp to stay at 180-190, but as the cook went on, it seemed that I could not keep it from rising every time I opened up the egg to turn the jerkey. You need to start with a real small fire, and never let the temp go above your target. At these low temps, I don't think you can get the temp back down if the fire does manage to grow.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks. Will the coals stay lit if the top is closed and the bottom damper is only open a hair?? IE, how do I maintain the lowest temps i can attain?

• The Other Dave
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, before I got my Guru, I was able to prevent the rise after opening by dropping an ice cube into the hottest area of coals before closing.[p]The Guru makes low temps easier, but the temp can still get away unless the daisy wheel is almost completely closed for a while after closing the dome.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Scott Borders,[p]The slide/daisy top leaks enough air to not be able to snuff out a fire by itself. That is why you should use the rain cap put out your fire when done. The bottom vent only needs to be open a hair to allow enough air in to keep a fire going, but one drip of fat could put it out or the fire can still go out easily at those low temps. When cooking below 200° you need to twiddle and diddle with the vents a lot to maintain those low temps. It's more work than I want to do so I use 225° when I do jerky.[p]Tim
  • Tim,
    Thanks. I think I'm officially a "225" man myself at this point. I'm still curious about multiple posts with eggers doing long slow cooks.[p]

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    Scott Borders,[p] Have you tried using just one large piece of lump lit on one end? (Instead of filling the firebox) It's a pain replacing the fuel one piece at a time but I have been able to keep low temps. this way. Just a thought. Mac
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    Scott Borders, i have never made jerky when it was that warm, but i have managed cooks at 150. 3 things seem to help. the first is if your daisy wheel is too clean it allows the fire to breath too freely. if this is the case then use a plate instead of the daisy and regulate it with a small air space and a brick on top to hold it in place. the second thing is to use charcoal that you have previously burnt during another cook, and use it sparingly with a small fire. new lump has to much firepower to it, especially if you are cooking in warm weather.
    third, try not opening the egg very often. this always raises the temp.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks fishlessman,
    Are you really fishless? That makes me sad

• Thanks Mac in NC, I'm going to try that