Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short Plate, How to cook?

CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding Posts: 368
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fellow egghead carnivores,

I acquired a piece of meat from a friend that I'm looking for some advice on. I looked up beef cuts rib plate and I believe this is a piece from the short plate.

It's got three rib bones and a nice beefy cap about 3/4" to 1" thick. The muscle feels very tender, and I'm not sure how I should cook this.

The CAB site at http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/cuts/ says:
Short Plate
This section is best used for stew meat, where its rich, beefy flavor can be appreciated.

Not that I'm averse to stew, but I was hoping to cook this like spare ribs, perhaps a lower temp (200 - 220 dome), very raised direct, a la fishlessman/thirdeye. I did two cooks with spare ribs this way over the weekend and was overjoyed with the results. Pecan wood for smoke and spares slathered with mustard and Dizzy Dust. This method produced some incredibly tasty ribs.

Smoking Direct discussion post - Good stuff from Thirdeye and Fishlessman

Has anyone dealt with this cut before? My friend offered up the meat for free, so I'm cool with experimenting.

Thanks,

Joe