Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter left out in overnight light rain

Options
bcrawfo2
bcrawfo2 Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't have a cabinet for all my "stuff" so I usually store it in my egg. My gasser is a long walk away, so I take my unused stuff for this cook and spread it out on the concrete.
Last night (no beers involved) I didn't go out and put things away when I was done. This morning I noted that it had rained some. My biggest concern was my plate setter.
I placed it in my cold oven and then turned the oven to "keep warm". Should I leave it there for most of the day and call it safe?
I plan on doing a brisket tomorrow during the day, so I need my plate setter.

Thanks for any opinions.
Scott

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi Scott, don't worry all is well :) they will absorb moisture even from the air when it is humid. If it was soaked and wet then I would not put it on an established hot fire :) but you should be fine ;0 but you can turn off the oven
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    I dont see the problem, i leave mine out all the time. and it has been raining here in AR for a long time, got 2 inches last nite.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Never left mine out in rain but did leave sitting out one night in near 100% humidity.
    It was dripping wet in the morning.
    Brought it up to temp slow on the Egg and it's still going strong today.
    Cook away.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bcrawfo2
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I'm a little sensitive as the last time I used my pizza stone I cracked it. It was a cheapy tho.
    I turned off the oven will move forward.

Outdoor egg storage cabinet is in the works.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Can’t say for sure BUT…
    The very first cook I did (a smoked turkey) I had both temp. and moisture troubles. The bird turned out very nice, but I fought to keep the temp. up with EVERYTHING wide open and actually had moisture dripping from the bottom vent at one point.
    A bit different than your scenario…I got caught with all the innards (fire box, fire ring and plate setter) out in an all day / all night rain…Putting it together that morning for the cook.
    My thought is / was that everything had taken on too much water.
    I now try to keep everything dry.
    As to your concern: I don’t think you have to worry about hurting anything. My parts are still in one piece!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi, the pizza stones that are not the egg ones or really heavy duty do not fare to well. a lot of P Chef ones have bit the dust on an egg. just not meant for those high temps :)
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I store some of my things in my gasser with a cover over it. I have noticed that when it rains for a week solid, the next time I throw it in the egg it takes a little bit for the egg to heat up. I figure it's struggling a little bit trying to dry the stone out.
  • Our Nicky
    Options
    My platesetter sat out overnight in the cold pouring rain along with my pizza stone two days ago. Last night was pizza night. I put both platestter and stone in at around 350. Temp dropped to 200. After 5 mins up to 250. After 10 mins 250, after 15 mins still 250! I lifted the lid to see what was happening and got a steam bath. The temp didn't move until I'd driven all the moisture off.

Stone and platesetter were just fine - after they dried out - and pizza as always was just awesome.

My wife says I have to stop making it because she can't stop eating it!