Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

water pan ????

Options
J.Y. Porkchop
J.Y. Porkchop Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used to have a cheap Brinkman smoker that had a water pan in the middle of it to add moisture etc. As I haven't purchased my BGE as of yet(too much snow)I was wondering what role a water pan played in the BGE. Is it ever used, what situations would call for one. Do you make your own or does it come as an accessory. What might the setup be. Again I have never REALLY grilled, unless you consider throwing a couple of hamburgs on my weber gas grill, grilling. Hell I can't even do that right. So again all help is well appreciated.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    J.Y. Porkchop, water isn't really needed with a BGE. Ceramic cooking with the dome and radiant heat doesn't dry out meat like a gassy does...but rather seals the juices in. I often use a dry foil lined pan for sake of catching drippings to prevent flareups. I've been known to pour apple cider in the pan under pork roasts but it isn't needed.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    J.Y. Porkchop, meat stays incredibly moist in the egg! It still amazes me how much difference in food taste there is coming out of this device. No water needed, but for indirect oven type cooking you need a plate setter or something to block the direct flames below your food.