Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any leftover turkey carcasses out there?

Options
JSlot
JSlot Posts: 1,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every Thanksgiving and Christmas for our family dinner mom would make something she called "Clear Turkey Soup" and she would serve it as a first course before the meal. This stuff was so simple, but it had awesome flavor. I was going through her old recipes the other day and I stumbled across the receipt. Here's the recipe and I'll tell you what mods I made afterward.........[p]Clear Turkey Soup[p]2 large cans chicken broth
2 qt. whole tomatoes with juice
2 stalk celery, diced
1 large onion diced
6 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste[p]Bring all ingredients to a boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer together for 1 hour or more. Strain broth into cups or large container and discard strained veggies.[p]Since I had no chicken broth, but I did have a turkey carcass, I just boiled the carcass and giblets for an hour or so. I removed the carcass and added all the other ingredients and let simmer for another hour and a half. Strained it all into a one gallon tupperware pitcher and it is DELICIOUS! So simple and tasty for those cold winter afternoons![p]Frosty Ones!
Jim

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    JSlot,
    That sounds good Jim....I made 3 gallons of Turkey vegetable soup out of my two turkey carcass.
    Larry

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    JSlot,
    Jim - it just so happened the making of broth or whatever from the carcass was on my list of to dos today since the better half forgot my request to do it earlier this week. Anyway your Mother's recipe intrigued me and I followed it for the most part, but used several sprigs of fresh thyme to enhance the carcass boil, and also I used tomatoe juice vs tomatoes and I also spiced it up a tad with a shot or three of Maggie and Worcesthire and even some celery salt. Just the same that is still your Mother's recipe and you are so right - that makes a superb thin soup that wakes your taste buds! Thanks for sharing it!