Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb and Ham?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be separately smoking an 8lb bone-in leg of lamb and 12lb fresh ham in BGE for Easter. Need for both to be done by 4 pm. Any estimates on cooking time for each so I will know what time to start? Also, any suggestions for preparing? Thanks, this is my first post, but I have been "observing" for a couple of years.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Danny B,[p]A hearty welcome. Glad to see you come forward. Do you have two BGEs? The ham will cook (indirect) at about 30min/pound using a 325F dome temp. Cook to 160-165F internal temp.[p]Leg of lamb is still on my list of things I have yet to cook on the Egg. There is a recipe and cooking method in the BGE recipe section.[p]Spin
  • Spin,thanks! I have one medium BGE and will cook them back to back, so I'm just trying to figure how early I need to get up to make sure they're both ready by 4. I've done a ham before but never a leg of lamb. I'll let you know how it turns out.[p]
  • Ok eggsperts, I need some real time advice! It's 8:45 am and the ham is at 163 degrees (see original post)after putting it on at 3:20 this morning. I plan on taking it off at 165 degrees per Spin's recommendation. The question is, what do I do with it until it is served between 4 and 5 this afternoon? Do I wrap it in foil and leave it out or do I put it in the fridge? Also, does anyone have an estimate on the cooking time per pound for the leg of lamb? I would like to finish it up as close to supper time as I can without risking not having it ready? I know it's early, but I am sure some of you whom I have been eggmiring in the past will come through! Thanks and it feels really good to finally be out of the closet (or maybe out of the green dome is more like it)!

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Danny B,[p] Hi There:[p] Sorry to say, most of the forum members are not looking
    at the forum. Too much cooking going on & the wife,( in
    most cases ) would have there heads for even going near
    the computer. Maybe next time give us alittle more time
    to help you out.
    Post again soon, sure you will get the answers you need.

In Spins case, Mrs Spin was probably out at the store so
    he avoided getting a fat ear. Hee Hee
    Hope all turned out well.[p] Earl

• Earl,thanks for the reply. Just returned from mother in law's and a supper for twenty. Both the ham and lamb turned out perfect. The leg of lamb hit 160* at four o'clock and we were eating at five thirty. Earlier, I decided to wrap the ham in foil (it finished early this morning) and put it in the fridge before heating it up a little right before eating time.[p]I always love the reaction of people who have never eggsperienced the green nectar of life. I brewed up special sauces for both the ham and lamb and a big pot of made-from-scatch bruinswick stew. Even though I currently feel, let's say a little uncomfortable around the old midsection, it was truly an Easter delight![p]Danny B