Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Verdict is In on Baked Potato Internal Temp!

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Keeping in mind that DELIGHTFUL thread last week about how to know when a baked potato is done, last night I baked a big, symmetrical russet potato in my toaster oven for 1-1/4 hours at 375°. The Thermapen read 212° and it was exquisitely (a girl word) baked.

Judy
San Diego
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    A TOASTER OVEN?! Judy, what are we going to do with you? :ohmy:

But I will keep it in mind next time I'm trying to juggle too many things that need too many different temps/times. Which seems to happen quite often! So, thank you!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hi Judy,
    I like your "girl" word and the information on the baked potato.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Mr. Q,

I actually use that little gem far more than the wall ovens. My electric bill is so small you have to read it with a magnifying glass.

And it heats up to temp within minutes...I tested it with an oven thermometer.

An unrecognized icon of the kitchen.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    "Mr. Q", is it? :laugh: :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    have to agree Judy..I've found some fully done even at 200 but 212 should pretty much make any baked tater 'exquisite' ;) :woohoo:
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Cool,
    i never cooked a spud by internal temp. I just check it tween 45-60 minutes and pull when it is soft to the two finger squeeze test.
    I will definetly have to try the TP now so i can experience an exquisite tater!
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Here is a new project for that adjustable grid.I bet you twenty minutes a side and they will be done.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Mr Slotmercenary:

You really had to have read the controversy about how to tell if a baked potato is done to put my experiment into context. Indeed it did all start with the squeeze!

I believe this is the link:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=720299&catid=1

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • troutman
    Options
    Ms. Mayberry,

Was it exquisitely symmetrical, or just regularly symmetrical?

Thanks.

Scott (or Mr. Scott, if you insist)
  • troutman
    Options
    Ms. Mayberry,

I just read the threads underneath the link you supplied.

If we could just figure out a way to combine the potato question with one about galvanized/stainless/zinc bolts, I truly think we could entertain ourselves for an entire day. I would probably learn more than I did in 2 years of Chemistry in college.

Maybe something like "When is a baked potato done on a raised grid with these shiny bolts?".
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    did you think i would steer you wrong.. :laugh:
    am very glad you're happy with the results
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Scott:

I completely missed that thread (not my usual type of topic) and also missed some great theater! Thanks for the heads up! And you wrapped it up nicely, you and Flashback Bob both.

My favorite "exquisite" line from some gentleman was "this myth will never frigging die."

I've been laughing nonstop since your post above and then to read Flashback Bob's throwaway line about throwing a couple of zinc bolts in for smoke for his pizza...I think I'll open a beer and try to settle down now.

Keep 'em coming, buddy!

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • troutman
    Options
    Judy,

I love the funny stuff posted on this forum, and try to do my part. I have to say that the line about throwing a few zinc bolts on for smoke is the best one yet. I laughed hard at that one.

I sure enjoy reading your posts too. You right real good. Some would say exquisitely, but I wouldn't because I might not spell it too good.

I thought you were Judy from Mayberry, but I see that you are in San Diego. My apologies for the whole "Andy, Opie, Aunt Bea" thing, it didn't apply.

Effectionately yours - Scott
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    What a colossal waste of front page forum space, and I just made it worse by putting it back to the top.
    It's a friggin Baked Potato, and in a Toaster Oven! Jeez. Not to mention this is the SECOND time its been covered. No wonder so many regulars have abondoned the forum! Whats next? Pics of Mac-N-Cheese on someones stove......
  • troutman
    Options
    Apologies to you, Ron, I meant no harm.

I use the flat view so the most recent topics appear at the top, but not the replies. Works well for me, and I just click on "Latest Posts" if I want to see what I've missed. Actually, that is how I found this thread originally because I do love a good baked potato. Plus, Judy seems like a real nice lady but I don't know if she is one of the "regulars" or not.

I am convinced that at least one of the "regulars" hasn't left, just chose to start posting again under another name. For what its worth.

I do love a good Mac-N-Cheese too, but don't really know how to make a good one.

Cheers.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Im just venting, sorry Judy... It's just painful to see the Forum on such a slippery slope these days. The newbies belong here as much as anyone else, but the members who post every food related(or non)thought that pops into their head whether its BGE related or not......
    Not long ago the Forum was one of the best places to visit on the entire WWW in my opinion!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    You just won't give up, will you!

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • troutman
    Options
    Who? Me?

Why blame me, I'm not the one that admitted to worshipping their toaster oven right here on the Big Green Egg Forum.

I'm cooking sirloin tip roast with baked potatoes on the Egg today. I plan to cook the roast to 130 degrees, and the potatoes to 210 degrees and use my Thermapen on them for the first time. Now, see what a good influence you are, and what a nice affect you had on me.

If the potatoes are real good and tasty, I'll stop.

Scott