Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp control

Options
probie
probie Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to buy a temp monitoring system for the BGE any ideas on what to buy?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Temperature monitoring or temperature controlling.

Monitoring:
    . Dome thermometer
    . Maverick ET-73 - Dual Probe, alarms, remote monitoring.

Controlling - Powered Vent System (PVS)
    There are several models by The BBQ Guru folks. I have and like the DigiqII

There is the Stoker which I also have. This unit can be controlled much like the DiqiQII (at the egg) or can be connected to a computer directly or wireless.

The Stoker can monitor many temperature probes and control many fans or any combination. If I am cooking multiple pieces of meat I use the stoker. The most I have monitored is 8 butts and controlled 1 blower. Ther have been some pictures with the Stoker controlling 6 eggs at one time.

If I use the DigiQII is also use the Maverick ET-73 so I can monitor the cook remotely.

You won't use any of the units on higher temperature cooks. After the novelty wore off I find myself using the PVS on longer cooks where I don't want to be bothered checking up on the egg and always on overnight cooks.

A note... I have had the fire int he egg go out while using the DigiqII. That problem was due to the way I lit the lump, there was a vertical burn.

For me both the DigiQII and the Stoker have been great and well worth the money spent.

GG