Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook a tri-tip

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was at the store yesterday and picked up a 2lb tri-tip that is about 1.5" thick. It is one of those pre-marinated ones (I usually don't get those, but this one looked too good to pass up--Carne Asada flavor) and I plan to make tacos or enchiladas. Just wanted some suggestions on the best way to cook the tri-tip. Should I T-Rex it (my gut feeling says to do that)? If so, what are the sear times per side and then approximate times per side at 400 after the 20 minute rest? What about just a straight direct cook? Or should I do it indirect like a roast?

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    I sear at 650 close to the lump about 90 seconds/side and rotating 90 degrees after 45 seconds. Then roast at 400 until I reach 125 internal. Be sure to slice aginst the grain.

IMG_5240DesktopResolution.jpg

IMG_5247DesktopResolution.jpg

IMG_5249DesktopResolution.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Options
    We sear direct just like a steak and get a good bit of char, then raised grid until 120 internal (temp will rise in the rest). Still direct, but raised. Allow to rest at least 15 minutes, as that's a pretty good sized hunk of cow. ;) Good luck! Great piece of meat. ;)

010-3.jpg

(Edit...Ooops!! That is a pic of a hangar!! Looked like tri tip in the little pic in PB...but same method....can't find the tri tip pic) :whistle: Sorry... :S