Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TNW - Thanks for Great Overnight Butt Cookin Info!

Options
Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 441
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a relatively new Egger and have been reading a ton of stuff on lump, lo-n-slo cooking etc and have now successfully done two overnight butts. I followed The Naked Whiz info for building a fire and both sessions stayed lit all night long. A little temp fluctuation (20-30 degrees), but nothing to radical. Both butts were about 8 & 9 lbs. I looked like a MVP with some coaching from my neighbor & friend - Freak. I lathered them up with yellow mustard, rubbed them with Rudy's Rub, set them out there indirect on a V rack & drip pan, monitored the dome temp with the thermometer I purchased with the BGE and monitored the meat temp with a Pyrex Professional basic digital meat thermometer. I never lifted the dome once during the 21 hour cook. I must confess, I lifted the daisy wheel and peaked in that way a few times toward the end. WOW!!! That was some awesome pulled pork. Served them up on white buns with some BBQ sauce (combination of Rudy's, Smack Yo Mama, Johny Harris and some burbon - my wife is great at mixing this stuff!), jalapeno slaw and some baked beans. I had everyones tongue wagging!
Thank to you all - er, all yall for your eggspert information! I'm on my way... :o}>