Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baked potato temp ?

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I do my potatoes 400 indirect for an hour and they have always been very good. Has anyone every used a temp probe on potatoes? If so, what temp should it reach? It seems like it would take the guess work out for when they are done.

As I am typing I just thought the reason I have not seen this discussed is that the necessary internal temp for a potato may be too high for most probes. Sorry, if it is a stupid question.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    I go with the soft and squishy method for checking tater doneness ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    me too :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Freddie, It really is a touchy feely thing :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • 210° on your thermo probe will give you a perfect tater..
    this was asked before in i subsequently reseached it..
    i do now cook to temp especially useful with large russetts or different sized taters on at the same time.

not dumb question either,,
  • skihorn
    Options
    I know about the touchy feely thing but I have to open up the Egg (and put down my drink!) to do that.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks!

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You have to open your egg regardless....unless you use a thermo probe for a tater. In that case you've drank WAY too much already :-)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    But, but, what if 210* is actually a tater plateau temp and it really needs to go higher?
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    :)
    soft and squishy???

I'm liking that. ;)

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I don't thin that you can really over cook a baked tater.It will depend on how crisp do you want the skin to be.For me I prefer a charred skin which might take about one hour at 450.If you want a soft skin wrap in foil.I have even put them in the hot coals covering the tater for a blackened skin but the inside is just fine.Now if you are dumb enough to let the go for 90 minutes or longer you are going to need a lot of sour cream or butter to soften them up.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Gene: The joke about opening the Egg (and setting down the drink) was that using the squishy method you may have opened the Egg only to determine that it wasn't done. Whereas with a remote probe you would theoretically never open it unnecessarily.

I am confused about your comment about using the remote probe on a potato. Although I have yet to try it, yes, that is what I was inquiring about. Am I missing something?

Freddie
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Don't over think it man.. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    hmmm, errrggg. :blink:
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    skihorn, that is bacchus speak for "why are you really worried about internal temps on taters! Just cook them until they are soft and squishy"
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What ever happened to the TRADITIONAL way of baking potatoes? 8-9 minutes on HI!! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    It's a great question because there are many variations of ways to cook them and probably an equal number of people who think their way is best.

I like to nuke mine for a few minutes just to get the internal area warmed up. Then I oil and salt them and roll in foil to be placed on the Egg. It remains there through the warm-up all the way until I take the meat off. By then it is hot and soft through and through and so tasty that I eat the entire potato skin and all.

You would think that a great potato would come with a $60 steak at Perry's Grill & Steakhouse in The Woodlands. Apparently the chef does not know how to cook a good potato or something went wrong. The one I had was terrible. Undone and luke-warm.

Experience tells me that not everyone knows how to make a great potato, and sometimes even mine don't make par.

Even so, I think next time I'll check the internal temperature of mine just so I'll know what "done" really is.

Thanks for the question and for everyone's answers.

Spring "Hot Potato" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • skihorn
    Options
    I always eat the skin. I may have to try your method. I oil and salt but don't use foil. I use some mild smoke to flavor the skin.

Have you tried the buttermilk pie recipe? I still laugh when I think about the near disaster of leaving out the buttermilk in the recipe. I am so glad you caught that.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Funny you should mention the buttermilk pie. We have gone so far as to buy the ingredients but still haven't done it yet. Kinda watching our weight (go up and up) lately so that's not Eggactly on the menu here at the Chicken Ranch right now. But it will be soon.

That's a fantastic pie.

By the way, we spent the afternoon next door with Lucky Mon and his huge stack of ribs. If you recall, he won the Medium Egg at the Chim Chimney event a few months ago. His ribs were good. Looks like he's a natural Egghead. Already wants a Large...

Spring "Buddermilk Pye" Chicken
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    Options
    i never take the temp, because we probably overcook them. we toss them on and after an hour, they're probably done. they either hang out on the counter or keep cooking. hard to screw them up.

but i've heard from "thems that profess to know"... what cooks a potato is the water inside it, and when that water turns to steam, it'll cook the starch.

you can't get water/steam hotter than 212 (except in a pressure cooker of course), so when that potato is 212 in the center, it means the water has been turned to steam, and the po-Tat is done
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Makes sense...

From now on I'll know that little piece of information and lord it over those who don't LOL...

Thanks.

Spring "Know Everything, Except That, And That, And That, And ..." Chicken
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

"Traditional" - there was life before microwaves...

To answer your question, obviously you haven't had an spud done on an egg. :):)

TT
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:woohoo: Foil :woohoo: Foil :woohoo:

That's like taking a shower with a rain coat on.

One day oil and salt it and just put it on the egg for an hour 300° - 400° (the hotter may need some rotating, but I don't mind some charred skin at all. That just needs a little more butter.

GG
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    Options
    foiled potatoes are one of the chief causes of botulism poisoning, FWIW....

improper heating/holding
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    did 3 of them yesterday and the internal temp was 200 on all three.....they were perfect
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yeah well, another of my "traditionally" bad jokes I guess. :blush:

I have to confess that I don't take the time to actually "bake" a potato. Until last night, I don't think I ever have. I tried one on the egg and found it better than the microwave, but only because the ends weren't rock hard. I foiled it too - is that a bad idea?

I didn't think I would have long enough before the london broil and corn were finished so I nuked it for 3 minutes before I put it on the egg. Even at that, it still wasn't quite as done as I would have liked. Not bad for my first try though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut