Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Indirect

Options
edbro
edbro Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What does everyone use to go indirect on the mini? I see different pictures of what looks like a homemade plattesetter but I'd have no clue as to how to about it. Once somebody recommended a mini kiln shelf but when I bought it it was too big. I'm at a loss here.

Also, my perception is that the mini is very sensitive to having a full grid. I find it much harder to hold temp if the grid is 80% full than if my large was 80% full. Is is just my imagination?

I'm loving my mini but I would love to have an indirect setup.

Comments

• Dave Shady
    Options
    woo ring and stone from Amazon.com vendor works out great mine with both wide open holds 450 dead on or lower if closed up.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes I have found the mini to be more sensitive to aving a full load of meat. I often will open the draft door a little more when I put the meat on.

Many folks use the mini kim woo
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=236
    This provides a slightly raised grill and addition of an 8" pizza stone gets you indirect.

I bought an extra grid when I bought my mini and made a raised grate that sits on the regular grid. (requires the addition of 3 carriage bolts and washers).
    you can kind of see it here:
    IMG_1890.jpg and here's what I did:
    MiniGrid.jpg

when I cook indirect, I just make a tray of aluminum foil to put on the lower grid to act as a deflector between the meat and the direct heat. it works but I haven't tried to make pizza with it.
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Thanks, that looks like the way to go. Off to the dealer to order an extra grid!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Thanks Bob! That drawing is great!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE