Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Change lump??

Options
egger66
egger66 Posts: 385
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all
I've got a question about changing lump. I'm going to cook some ribs Saturday morning for the football games starting at lunch time. Saturday evening I'm going to make pizza on the egg...should I change the lump after the rib cook to avoid adding too much smoky flavor to the pizza? I've done ribs and I've done pizza but not on the same day :lol: .
Thanks

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    If your concerned about the grease just give it a little extra time at high heat before you put the pizza on
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Lump should be just fine. May need to top it off depending on how long your rib session is. If you fire your Egg at high temps for pizza as I do,then any residual drippings should be gone lone before you reach temp. Residual smoke flavor in the egg should only enhance and deepen the flavor of your pizza and not overwhelm it. Best of luck to your team at the game and your pizza will be memorable as well.
  • Sundazes
    Options
    I did a 6 hr rib cook. The next day I did spat chicken and burgers. All with the same lump. Didn't affect a thing for my cooks.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hmm - depend'n on how many pizzas you are going to cook, you may want to throw a bit more lump on top. Don't see any reason to throw out any perfectly good lump.
  • eggmarc
    Options
    If there's some unburned smoke wood blocks or chips mixed with the lump from your rib cook it could burn when you bake the pizza and impart a smokey taste. If you don't want that smoke you probably would want to start with a fresh load. But save the smokey lump for another cook. Hopefully the rib lump is totally out and cool so you can handle it. When I cook fish for my Honey following a low and slow smoke I have to change the lump since she doesn't like it so smokey.