Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vegetable Gardens?

jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My forum time has been greatly curtailed of late, since I spend just about every non-working waking hour in my veggie garden (and even some working hours :whistle: )

I just roasted a bunch of pimiento peppers in my Egg to make some pimiento cheese. We've had several rounds of grilled eggplant and other grilled veggies, and all of them taste better not only because they came off the Egg, but also because we raised them ourselves.

I've got about 5000 square feet of garden, complete with drip irrigation, raised beds and hand built trellis.

Any other garden fanatics who are also Eggheads?

Comments

• TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    I am envious. I recall, as a youngster, when my mom was trying to get us interested in a garden and she wound up doing all the work. Too many nats for me as I recall. I also remember as a younger man when I tried, in my previous life time, to have a garden and all I did was feed rabbits. It is a shame we can't go back in time. I'd love to be able to hoe rows with my mom like I did as a kid.

Good luck with the garden and enjoy having one.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    AAwwww you are so lucky. we had such a wet spring and summer we are just giving up and tilling it under. our garden is always bountiful and beautiful but this year it is just nothing. about a hand full of grape tomatoes and two feeds of green beans is all. we are usually are so sick of yellow squash by now it is a joke. we have not even picked one :(
  • Some time ago, I had acreage, and while I was raised a city-slicker, I eventualy learned how to garden from an old country gentleman and neighbor, who plowed my garden for me every year, to get me started. I miss those days. Folks just don't really understand what "home grown", fresh veggies mean. I too am envious. A garden AND a Big Geen Egg! You have arrived! Yep, you're leading the good life, my friend.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    We have a couple of raised gardens and five earth type boxes. Not as big as yours but large enough for us. We grow all the tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, zucchini, green beans, several types of peppers and squash that we, and the neighbors, can eat and freeze.

We have had a very wet year and have had several diseases and blights come through our area but we have survived them pretty darn well. We are up to our armpits in tomatoes and eggplant right now. The Zucchini and cucumber glut is over.

We have a couple of rain barrels that have provided all the water we have needed this year.

The slugs have been awful this year cause of all the rain.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    I'm a gardening fanatic. In fact, I just got back from 3 days with like-minded gardeners in the PNW. We met on davesgarden.com and have become friends over the years. We meet up on occasion. This was our first all-weekend event. Great fun. It's much like an eggfest but with a gardening focus, along with great food.

I'd love to see photos of your garden! We're in the middle of putting in drip irrigation not only in the veggie garden but throughout our entire property. I'm soooooo excited, I can't even tell you in words. It will make a world of difference.

My veggie garden is 40x60 but I also do lettuce and herbs elsewhere as well. I completely redid my veggie garden this year, in a potager style, and have included some ornamentals. It's still in a bit of a transition as I had to leave some things unfinished until the irrigation goes in.

This year I'm going to start winter sowing as well as starting seeds in my greenhouse. It'll be fun to try something new!
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Gwen,

Here are a few from this year. I stalled out with the picture taking once the harvesting started in earnest. Hate it when I do that. It's like my cooking. Some times I try to document a cook, but toward the end and the eating, the camera gets left behind.

http://idigmygarden.com/forums/album.php?albumid=261

And here are a few from last year when I got it all started.

http://web.mac.com/farmach/Site/Garden_Blog/Garden_Blog.html

You doing the irrigation yourself or having it done? I did my lawn that is about 3/4 of an acre and the garden which has 8 separate zones. If you're doing it and have any questions, I'll be happy to try and shorten your learning curve.