Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swamp Venom Almonds

Boccie
Boccie Posts: 186
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
swampvenomalmonds.jpg
<p />I never really got a chance to try the new flavors from Dizzy Pig. Even though I received samples I was recovering from surgery this summer and wasnt eating much solid foods.[p]Things are different now and I've been itching to get those samples out and try something.. anything!.. with these.[p]So tonight was time for another batch of almonds. I decided on Swamp Venom for the spice.[p]Interesting choice you may be thinking :-) (I was at the time)[p]I was wanting to try some spiced almonds rather than just salted.[p]I roasted these the same as I always do. Coat with olive oil, cook at 325 deg for 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes. Recoating after every stir. Smoked with plum wood.[p]And how did these turn out with Swamp Venom?[p]Very darned good! I really like the slight heat the seasoning has on the almonds. What a treat and something different too.[p]Wishing everyone the best~[p]Boccie

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Boccie,
    Very cool....or hot...whatever. Wow. Wild idea, and definitely not one I would have thought of. Looks like Qfan and I will be learning a whole bunch from DP users over the years. Amazing the kind of creative stuff folks are coming up with.[p]These kinds of posts go a long way in making our days worthwhile! Much appreciate you sharing that Boccie. Nice to see you are on the mend and feeling chipper enough to eat fire. This is a good sign indeed.[p]Have a great weekend!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks Chris! We hope to make the Waldorf eggfest this coming year and actually get there this time without a pit stop in a hospital along the way lol. That made such a wonderfull vacation for my wife.[p]Im gonna order a bottle of the swamp venom here in a few days. What I used was the sample packet you had provided.[p]The almonds are indeed hot. An interesting mix. I may experiment with making a brine solution with some rubs for soaking the nuts prior to roasting. Its very difficult to keep the salt/seasonings on the almonds after they sit around a awhile... salt just falls off. Store bought almonds are soaked in a brine, but man... way too much salt for me![p]Take care! and keep grinding those spices :-)[p]~Rick
    Boccie

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Boccie,
    I will never forget talking to Nikki on the phone when you arrived at the hospital, and worrying about you, while at the same time, I had to spread the news to others. Just glad there is a happy ending![p]Brining the nuts sounds interesting. Never smoked nuts though, so I'll leave it up to you to experiment!
    We'll keep grinding. Hope you all have a great weekend.
    ChedRD style wings here today!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ