Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Help

GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to cook a turkey this weekend and have never done one of the Egg. The bird weighs roughly 8 lbs. Unfortunately I don't have a polder so if you can give me some estimated times & temps I would appreciate it. Thank you for the advice.[p]GJ

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    GJ,
    I'll e-mail you a recipe and instructions I did for our daughter. Are you planning on brining the bird before hand? I would highly recommend that you do so. It will make all the difference in the world. The Egg is the greatest thing you've ever seen when it comes to something like a smoked turkey![p]Give me a shout back after you've had a chance to look at the recipe and instructions![p]Good luck & good eating![p]Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    GJ,
    CW has his little chart, but I think 350 in a v-rack over drip pan. About 20 minutes pound. Your lookin at under 3 hours. The bird picks up plenty of smoke even without adding wood, so only add wood chunks if you want a pretty strong smoke flavor (some like it, some don't).[p]300 will work well also, and the skin won't be as dark. The lower temps you use, the more smoke flavor you will get. The higher temps give you crispier skin. I out the polder in the thickest part of the breast, and pull off at 165 internal. If you check the thigh, it should be 175-180. [p]You might just get squirted in the eye when you go to carve it![p]How are you preparing and spicing your bird??[p]Sounds like fun
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    GJ,[p]Here's a link to a turkey recipe recently submitted by Cat. Haven't tried it yet but man does it look good. Sweet butter! Two kinds of mushrooms! Two types of cheese! Brined! Then Smoked! There are so many strong flavoring agents in that recipe/method it makes ones mouth water.[p]I may be trying this recipe this weekend myself.[p]Cornfed
  • GJ
    GJ Posts: 45
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the info. I think I will brine as Dr. Chicken suggests (besides, refrigerator space is limited). I was thinking of adding some garlic and poultry seasonings, maybe some sage.[p]When the cook books say to cook poulty to 180 deg are they always refering to the thigh? Will the breast always be a little cooler?[p]Thanks
    GJ

• GJ,[p]I have smoked a few turkeys over the years and yes the temp in the breast will be lower than the thigh.[p]I know you don't have a polder but if you did, pull the turkey off the cooker when the breast is just over 150 degrees. It will climb another 7-9 degrees in the rest period before you cut it. The meat will be very moist and the juice will run clear. [p]I always inject a brine into the meat and then spray it with olive oil before adding my rub.[p]Get yourself some kind of polder for the next time you cook a bird.[p]Old Dave
  • GJ,[p] Just to clarify something here -- if I misunderstood you just kick your screen, I'll feel it :-). You need to keep the bird cold during brining. I brine mine in the fridge and it takes up *more* space because I've got to fit the turkey plus container full of brine in the fridge.[p] Yes, the 180 number is thigh temp. Normally, the breast is much thicker than the thigh so it will cook more slowly. A decent rule of thumb is that the breast will be about 170 when the thigh is 180. That's a bit overdone for some so they measure temp directly in the breast. That seems like a more direct way of getting what you want -- juicy white meat. [p]MikeO
  • GJ,
    That should cook real fast. I use a verticle roaster inside a drip pan. The last whole turkey (15 lbs)went 2.75 hours at 300 dome, internal temp was 170. Have also done some 8 pound breasts and they usually take 1.5 hour (same temps). Hope this helps...that damn egg has really turned me into a turkey junkie...used to be 1 a year...now more like 1 a month.[p]I love it!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Cornfed,[p]Cats turkey recipe is fantastic. It also works nicely with chicken and game hens. I highly recommend it.[p]Spin