Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Wondering...........

Options
Chef Wil
Chef Wil Posts: 702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been to, judged, and competed in many culinary competitions across the country but BBQ competitions I have never been.
Just wondering.....from all you great BBQ'ers......what is the ultimate brisket. I know that aroma, flavor,tenderness, and bark play a key role, but what sets a "winning" brisket apart from one that doesn't place.I have cooked a few briskets that were to die for and others you just rather die than eat.....hehehe.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    IMHO, the thing that propels a brisket into the "great" category is the right combination of moisture and tenderness. Brisket is such a finicky cut of meat that it takes a little luck, as well as skill, to get it right. I believe that you have only a 3-4° window where you get the moisture/texture just right. Maybe even less than that. I've had some killer tender briskets that would dry your mouth out sumpthin' terrible. On the other hand, I've had nice, moist ones that would put Wrigley's Gum to shame. All cooked to the same internal temp or thereabouts. Oh, I didn't mention taste because when cooked over wood to the proper doneness, taste will not be an issue. It will be great![p]My 2¢,
    Jim

• char buddy
    Options
    JSlot,[p]what are the temps in your 3-4º target range?
  • JSlot
    Options
    I shoot for 198° where the point and flat meet, CB. That has produced the most consistelntly good results for me: however, I believe that the 3°-4° target range is different for every brisket. In other words, 198° might be right on for one piece of meat, but overdone or underdone for another. That's what makes it so darn confounding to get it "just" right.[p]Jim
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    A nice bark with plenty of flavor, a good smoky essence, cut-with-a-fork tenderness (but not fall apart texture) that leaves a bit of juice on the plate, and the final test to me is if you prefer to eat it without sauce of any kind. I love a good sauce, so it has to be pretty good for me to pass on the sauce (if the sauce is any good).

• char buddy
    Options
    JSlot,[p]either that or you don't want to give away any competition secrets....(grinning thing here)
  • JSlot
    Options
    Secrets? Moi? Nevah!! LOL! If I had the magic info, I'd certainly be sharing the wealth with my Egg brethren!![p]Frosty Ones,
    Jim