Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Greek syle lamb/mutton recipes?

Options
Aussie_Hugh
Aussie_Hugh Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been thinking for a while that the egg would produce great Greek style lamb dishes. Beryl's recent post prompted me to posting this.[p]I am looking for inspiration as to something that can be put together with some of that flat Lebanese bread. I like the idea of slicing the meat and having people help themselves. Any suggestions for marinades? Also side dishes and dips?[p]As for lamb, my preference is for stronger flavoured meat. I feel that hogget or mutton would make a great accompaniment to the egg. Recently I placed a special order for two legs of hogget with the butcher. I cooked one in-direct and it came up fairly well. But reading the responses to Beryl's post I think that next time it will be a direct cook at 350 – 400 on a raised grill.[p]In my childhood I lived on a farm and mutton is what we ate. So I have a taste for it in preference to lamb.[p]Cheers,
Hugh.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Lamb-6-served.jpg
    <p />Hugh:[p]My recipe in the thread below is one style of Greek lamb preparation. Tzatziki goes real good with lamb . . .[p]Pictured is lamb after it has been cut from a lamb roasting on a spit

[/b]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,
    Here's one that we've done frequently.
    Butterlfy a leg of lamb, salt and pepper it. Place slices of garlic into stab wounds, all over the meat. Marinate for 24-72 hours in olive oil - 3 parts; lemon juice - 1 part; 2-3 tablespoons, dried (and crushed between your fingers as you add) oregano; same with thyme. Grill over 400-500 degree Egg on a raised grill until both sides are seared well. Lower temp and roast until internal temp is 125-130. Let it rest 15 minutes then slice. Enjoy.