Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does size matter?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to finally become a proud egg owner. Can you do a turkey on the small egg? Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards the medium one. Any accessories I MUST have?[p]Thanks much in advance

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    MacQ,[p]I recomment you consider this issue very carefully! I'm sure you will get a variety of responces.[p]I started with a small (due to price). I soon found the small to be to small and upgraded to a medium (with one month). I now wonder why I did just get a large (I think I'll upgrade soon). Although I am single and live alone, Ihave found that cook quite often for friend, neighbors and whenever I can (size does matter)![p]As far as accesories go, the Temperature Gauge is a must. The other ones I use regularly are: Grill Gripper, Ash Tool and Dual Function Metal Top. The other tools/accesories are great but you will get them over time![p]Smokey[p][p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    MacQ,
    If cost is not a factor, go for the large! I've got a lg. and a sm. and I wish Mr. Sm. was Mr. Med. You can do anything on a medium as you can on a large, only smaller scale. 12 to 15 lb turkey is probably max though. You might find yourself like a lot of other Eggers once you get going. The Sm. or Med. just ain't big enough and then you want to trade it up for a bigger one.[p]What ever you decide, welcome to the family! Don't hesitate to ask questions. You'll get plenty of help and plenty of answers. None of them steering you wrong either. When you get a chance, go to Gfw's or Tim M's web sites and you'll see some fantastic results, recipes and recomendations! Look to Spin, NB, Cat, C~W (Char~Woody), Elder Ward, King of Coals and a host of others for some expert help & suggestions! Everyone here started just like you, so don't feel overwhelmed by any of this! Its one big family![p]Once again welcome to the family and stand-by to enjoy!!![p]Dr. Chicken

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    MacQ,
    Aside from what Smokey suggested, I recommend a table of some sort. I like a cover to protect the table and all the other toys I use in addition to the Egg. An electric fire starter is a must unless you use starter cubes. If you hang around the cult here long enough, the accessory list will just grow...and grow... and grow...[p]If at all possible, go for the large. You won't regret it for a second.
    JimW

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    MacQ,
    Get the largest one you can afford. You won't regret it. Don't try to save a few bucks and go with a smaller one - you'll only want to upgrade after only a few cooks. I have large and wish they made a extra-large. The auto-lock band is certainly a MUST have option. As far as the other eggcessories - the thermometer is a MUST. The slide/daisey wheel top is nice but there are a couple of people in the forum who egg topless [how's them tan-lines CAT?? :-) ] but it is easier to learn how to cook with an egg with a top (slide or daisey or combo). You'll want an ash tool - you don't need to get the BGE one but you will need something and their's works well so I would go ahead and get one.[p]Mr Beer

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    MacQ,[p]I was considering a medium before I bought my Egg, but I knew I would probably end up wanting a large. So, I spent the extra $100 or so and bought a large. Now that I'm living alone, and usually only cook for myself, I could get probably by with the medium.[p]The only two essential accessories (IMHO) are the thermometer and some kind of top (slide or daisy wheel. I have a daisy wheel). I've had my Egg for about a year, and it works fine with the regular bands. An ash tool would be nice, but I've done fine without one.