Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Blues

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The first day I owned my Egg, I cooked pork ribs. They were the best I've ever had. The second day, I did a Jamaican jerked chicken that was so moist and tasty my wife and I devoured it in about 10 minutes. The third day I prepared baked potatoes and a flank steak. Again it was incredible. So feeling buoyed by this success, I tried a 4 lb brisket on the forth day. I prepared it with my favorite beef rub cooked it at 250 for 8 hours. The result somewhere just this side of cardboard and rapidly marching toward plate steel. I’m so depressed. What did I do wrong?

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Sounds like you went by time instead of temperature or visual inspection/fork test. Briskets are usually cooked to an internal temp of 190°-200°. A 4 lb. brisket flat probably only takes 5-6 hours at the temp you were cooking. Time guidelines are not much good for brisket, or anything else IMHO. They'll give you an idea, but if you want to be sure, monitor the meat temp. Briskets are very finicky with regards to time. I've cooked three briskets at different times and the time range varied by as much as 3 hours as to when each was done. Good luck![p]Oh, here's something else I've been converted to. Try cooking the brisket for the first 2 hours on flat (3-4 hours on a whole) with the fat cap DOWN. Then flip the brisket and finish cooking with fat side up. It has been a winner on the last two briskets I cooked!![p]Jim
  • Phred,
    What internal temp did you take it to? usually brisket needs to go to 185*-195*. [p]Strider

• Strider,
    I didn't watch the internal temperature. It sounds like that was my mistake. Thanks for the help

• JSlot,
    Thanks alot for the help. I'm going to have to get myself a meat thermometer.

• Phred,[p]I finally bought a Thermapen for checking internal temps.[p]I have had it about a month and highly recommend it. A bit pricey, but I now don't know what I would do without it.[p]Just a thought
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Phred,most folks use either a polder thermometer(remote probe) about$23, or a thermopen (instant read)about $60. Either type will give you the internal meat temperature.HTH

• Phred,[p]The first time I tried brisket I failed miserably as well. My problem was I didn't have a cut of brisket with a good layer of fat still on it. Without that fat the meat ends up tough. [p]I have a difficult time finding good cuts so good luck searching. With a good cut, meat thermometer, and cooking it indirectly you should be set.[p]Cheers