Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Chicken

Options
Nessmuk
Nessmuk Posts: 251
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I stopped by the food store to see if they had chicken cut in halves. They didn't. I wanted to smoke a spatchcocked chicken, so I asked the butcher to cut on in half. He did it on the band saw. [p]I brined overnight & fired my BGE the next day. Cooked the bird at about 300 for 4 hours or until the thigh & breast temps got to 180.[p]I mist with olive oil & apple juice every 30 minutes.[p]I took another suggestion from the wire & pierced a potato with the probe & set at grill level. I noted the temp difference between grill level & dome. It varied from 5 degrees to 50 degrees.[p]There has to be another unknown as to the difference vis thermometer quality or calibration.[p]The bird turned out perfect with a browned skin. [p]Nessmuk

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Nessmuk,[p]Cooking the thigh to 180 is proper, but if the breast went to 180, too, it seems that would make it awful dry. How did you keep it moist? Most of us cook to 165 or so in the breast.[p]Jim
  • RibEye
    RibEye Posts: 3
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    4 hrs at 300deg!!!! YOu gotta be kiddin....I agree with Jslot...breast should be no more than 160deg. and the thigh should be between 170-175. Spatchcocked chickens cook faster due to the butterfly cut of the chicken.
    Raise your temps to 350deg and cook each side for 25-30 min.
    RLA[p]

• char buddy
    Options
    Nessmuk,[p]spatchcock is just a fancy (or funny) word for butterflied. So a halved chicken isn't spatchcocked - it's just halved. [p]Just getting the terms straight. [p]
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    Wow...I agree, that time is long but I also have found out even cooking something too long on the BGE does not necessarily mean it will dry out. I did a spatchcocked chicken at the Patriots game this weekend and it was done in less than an hour.....love that way of cooking them!